PDA

View Full Version : Fish recomendations

Highside
07/09/2007, 09:35 PM
What kind of fish would do well in a small reef with a yellow tail damsel for a companion? I thought for sure that a maroon clown would whip him into submission but no, this little guy is tough. Maybe a larger Maroon Clown? It is also possible that the clown just never was healthy. I felt like I was rescuing him when I bought him from a fish store with lots of dying fish that I won't name. He ate the first day I put him in and that was the last time I saw him eat. Maybe the blue devil just wouldn't let him eat?

DMBillies
07/09/2007, 11:13 PM
Our yellowtail was a tough one. They are pretty hardy fish and a lot of people start with them because they are easy to keep, but the downside is when you want to add other things. I don't really have any advice other than to try to trap him out and then you can add whatever you want (depending on what other fish you have and the size of the tank of course). That's what we did...

NeveSSL
07/09/2007, 11:48 PM
I don't think I'd ever let one little demon fish decide what I can put in my tank or not... lol.

I agree with Brian. Just trap him and take him to a store for credit! :)

Brandon

luckyfish
07/10/2007, 09:57 AM
shark

Fanof49ASU
07/10/2007, 11:09 AM
Yep, I traded mine in.

gsusfreak
07/10/2007, 12:23 PM
if i were to have a damsel only tank....would they try to kill each other?.....like 2 yellowtail, 2 domino, 2 striped, 2 velvet....blah blah blah , all in the same tank....would they all get along fine?.....

i actually like the look of damsels, but i havent kept any because from everyone's experience is that they're little devils!!

DMBillies
07/10/2007, 02:12 PM
I had two blue devil damsels when I first started and one killed the other. From everything I've read, and in my own experience, you'll end up with only one after a little while (unless you have a huge tank).

SRT80
07/10/2007, 02:19 PM
yep, when I first setup a tank several years ago, I started with 5 yellow tail damsels to cycle the tank and they was constantly fighting and I ended up with one. Im def. thinkin' about one for my 10 IF I decide to get rid of my mandarin. Plus I remember someone sayin' the yellow tails eating flatworms. My mandarin doesnt touch them, only eats frozen brine, mysis. I even see pods in the tank still. And the mandarin is good and fat.

Steve

outreefed
07/10/2007, 04:54 PM
I have had 2 blues damsels in a 45gal and move them to my 75 gal for 2 years now