PDA

View Full Version : Baffles in my Sump/Fug

Bygkid
07/06/2007, 11:03 PM
When my tank was installed the LFS guy gave me "a much larger sump" than I needed. Much to my surprise, I found out later, that it was some kind of a recycled 55 gal glass sump from some other tank or use of his.
I had to reverse the flow of the water as he installed in the order of ; Drain, refug, aeriator fall, Skimmer and return pumps. Even though it could very well work this way, I have seen and been told that the skimmer should be set up early in the flow. Now the flow is in reverse by switching the pumps and drain and eliminating the 'fall'.
I was wanting to install baffles in the 'fall area' to create the bubble trap to help any micro bubbles from getting to the pumps. it is about 6" wide and should make for a pretty easy insert. But my prob is that a few peeps that I have talked to at my LFS suggested a 2-3 day shutdown of my sump/fug for the silicone to dry. With a mixed reef and about 17 fish in my 140, I don't think I can afford that kind of shutdown.
Any thoughts or info as to an alternative of refute of the info that I have woul be much appreciated.

Scott