PDA

View Full Version : Dream System

Kung
07/06/2007, 08:42 AM
Say money is no object. Space is no object. Common sense is no object. What, then is your dream system? What equipment, what livestock, what corals, what size, location, etc. Go wild. Describe the system you have always dreamed of.

dcombs44
07/06/2007, 08:43 AM
www.oregonreef.com

CPFarm (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcpfarm.com&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

Either of the above

Kung
07/06/2007, 08:46 AM
My details are a bit shady, but I have always dreamed of a reef in the round. Take an entire room, and wall it in fish. One long wall would be the shark tank, the other long wall the the short walls could be the reef, with a (very well hidden) barrier between the sharks and the reef. The sump would be in the basement, and would actually be a small mangrove swamp, glassed in, so that it could also be visible.

Crazy? yes.

Now it's your turn. Go nuts.

Kung
07/06/2007, 08:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10283127#post10283127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dcombs44
www.oregonreef.com

Either of the above

HOLY CRAP! I was just at his site, that's what made me think of this thread!

dcombs44
07/06/2007, 08:48 AM
There's some money in both of those.

Kung
07/06/2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, seriously. Read the section on Oregon reef about his power bill . . . wow.

dcombs44
07/06/2007, 09:05 AM
I would say if his DIY tank cost $20k, then the $300 per month devoted to powering that thing is chump change. Impressive nonetheless.

Travis L. Stevens
07/06/2007, 09:13 AM
If money wasn't an object, I would hire people to take care of my dream tank exactly to my specifications. Can we say public aquarium? ;)

Seriously, a feasible dream tank would probably be a 120g tank for me. Just tall enough to reach the bottom without a step ladder, four feet wide so it will be easy to find a space for, and two feet from front to back for lots of room and depth of view. I would fill it with Montiporas. I would upgrade my 29g to my 75g and fill it with my Ricordeas. Then, I would get a really large softie only tank with minimal lighting and stock it with a large shoal of Greem Chromis, Lyretail Anthias, a harem of Flasher Wrasses, and maybe a few other small fish that I like.

Kung
07/06/2007, 09:33 AM
I'm sticking with the room 50 to 50 thousand gallons. A few angels (regal, emperor, scribbled) and enough coral to keep them from killing all the coral. I would want a school of small yellow tangs, a unicorn and a clown tang, a mimic tang (I have one now, and I love this fish), a few clowns with their anemones, a school of anthias, a tusk fish, and a school of bannerfish.

As for corals. I would limit myself to maybe ten species and just a whole bunch of them. That looks more natural than having one of every kind of coral I can find. I would choose a good branching acropora, a plating or encrusting monti, and some good finger leather for the other end of the reef.

The shark tank would be lightly stocked. A black tip or two, perhaps a hammerhead, and a few rays.

Of course I would have to take up SCUBA to clean this thing.