PDA

View Full Version : Green Water Problem

CloudIX
07/05/2007, 08:55 AM
I seem to have a green alge problem in my tank. There is no alge growing on any rocks or anything, but the water is real green. My RO/DI filters was spent, so i replaced then (thinking that this would be the issue) and used a Diatom filer to clean the water. This cleared the water for just few days, but the green has returned. Its so bad now that you can only see about 2" in the tank. All my water parameters look good and my green frog spawn is loving the water. What could i do to resolve this? If i ran a UV light would this kill my pods off?

c_stowers
07/05/2007, 09:35 AM
Have you tested your phosphates and nitrates? This may be the root of your problem. I think a UV light would help as well, but it may also kill some of your pods. What skimmer are you running?

CloudIX
07/05/2007, 10:13 AM
both phosphates and nitrates are testing good. I do have a crap skimmer but it's running 24/7 and is pulling out green skimate.

Pickupman66
07/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Chris, is this in the 240? or the 40?

MediaHound
07/05/2007, 02:57 PM
How long are your lights on for?

Mikeyjer
07/06/2007, 12:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10276547#post10276547 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CloudIX
both phosphates and nitrates are testing good. I do have a crap skimmer but it's running 24/7 and is pulling out green skimate.

Of course they would test fine since you have that algae bloom right now, they absorb them right out of your water so the test doesn't show at all. I used to have that same problem, but once I put in a good skimmer, that problem disappeared within days. :)

CloudIX
07/07/2007, 10:42 PM
This is in both tanks. They are tied to the same sump tank. I replaced the phosphate test kit and i did have some phosphates show. I did a 50% water change with Lab grade RO/DI water and things are looking better. The lights are the new solaris 400w version. Those lights are set to follow the normal light cycle of the sun. So when the sun outside is up. the day lights are on. My skimmer sucks, so Im in the market for a new skimmer. Thanks for everyones help on this. I will keep everyone updated on the progress.

Shocky
07/10/2007, 09:39 PM
I had green water problems before and fixed it by using an Octopus Skimmer and added four clams. My have the clams grown. Hope this helps