PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use carbon?

reefnewbie54321
07/04/2007, 11:07 PM
I rember reading from Randy saying that the best way to use carbon was in the sump or a canister and not a reactor ... is this true? If so any experts have a suggested flow rate for that carbon?

Billybeau1
07/04/2007, 11:17 PM
I'm not an expert but I run my carbon in a H.O.T. Magnum. Actually, I also run some PhoSar HC in there as well. Works good for me.

I don't have a number for you but I would think a slower flow over carbon would be the most effective. :)

chase33
07/04/2007, 11:37 PM
I run carbon and rowaphos in a cannister also.

bertoni
07/05/2007, 12:33 PM
A reactor is fine if the flow is such that the carbon doesn't get abraded into dust. I use a PhosBan reactor, but use regular flow (not the reverse flow). It seems fine.

pjf
07/05/2007, 07:23 PM
Randy did state in a number of posts that he mixes granular activated carbon (GAC) with a small amount of granular ferric oxide (GFO) in a Magnum canister. It’s easier and cheaper to use a canister but I’m not sure if it’s better than using a reactor.

In a transparent reactor you can fine tune the flow to prevent the fragile GFO from caking or tumbling into dust. A space is left above the GFO so the upward flow can cause the GFO to rise and not clump together. One can watch the surface of the GFO and slow the flow if the GFO is tumbling too much.

GAC is more durable than GFO and can take the faster flow of a canister without having to watch it and fine-tune it. Randy mixes the GFO with GAC to prevent the GFO from clumping and tumbling. Then he just forgets about it with no worries. The canister has an integrated pump so it is easier to handle than a reactor with a pump hanging from it.

sjm817
07/05/2007, 11:11 PM
I ran 2 reactors, one with GAC and one with GFO. I hated chaging out the media. For one, the carbon I use is Black Diamond. Some of it floats, some sinks. Floating GAC doesn't work in a reactor. I'd have to presoak it and separate it to use the stuff that sunk. The GFO also turned solidified after awhile. The Rowa was worse for this than Phosban.

I now use a fluval 404 that I had kicking around. Its kind of big. I can put an entire 3.65L jug of Black Diamond in it. I can put a bag of GFO in the middle somewhere between carbon layers if I want. I like it a lot better. Since there is a ton of carbon in there, I run it on a timer. 1 hr on, 5 hr off.

I may change again and do a media tray in my sump instead. I want the carbon to be as easy to change out as possible.

PatrickJ
07/06/2007, 07:32 PM
IMO the pellets are the best in reactors.