PDA

View Full Version : hey guys..ok i just redid my tank

3fins
07/04/2007, 11:22 AM
I posted a thread on my tank it was called. My tank is in bad shape.
just so u know its a 29 bio cube.i started with tap water witch was a HUGE mistake. Now i took all the water out and the rock and sand AND cleand the tank.( it was nasty. I felt bad for the fish). So now i bought a ro unit and put new water and purgin chemi pure and bought CYCLE( all r new).
so i tested my water and all came back great.

Salt was1.025
ph was 8.4
alkalintiy was 180-300
nitrite was 0
and nirate was 0
as well as Ammonia was 0

so now heres the question , the first time i cycled my tank it was cloudy(sandstorm) lasted about half a day and all night then come morning it was fine

now i cycled it again and its cloudy again. Thinking it was a sandstorm, however i woke up this morning and its still been cloudy. I have heard its the algea bloom when its a milkey white but im not sure what it is. its now just starting to clear up and its been 3 days. So if anyone has any info that would be cool
ill try to post some pics in a bit

happy 4th
3fins

kkyyllee
07/04/2007, 12:25 PM
its a sandstorm, CYCLE is crap, everything is at zero because u just got sand and water in there

Slakker
07/04/2007, 12:57 PM
Please...do more reasearch on what exactly "cycling" a tank means...

kkyyllee
07/04/2007, 01:07 PM
maybe you should try a freshwater

aznlmpulse
07/04/2007, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10271852#post10271852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkyyllee

hahaha:lol:

Illuminati
07/04/2007, 02:08 PM
Well congrats on the RO unit, an RO/DI would be best but hey, it's a start.

How'd you clean the tank? Hopefully no chemicals were used....

Where is the rock? In the tank or in a container?

3fins
07/05/2007, 10:04 AM
Can yall plz be a lil nicer here?. Ive been in sw for just under a year now. I know what cycling is.
i just ask for help and this is what i get. and i have cycled 3 tanks before mine. It just so happend i had a question. My moms dwarf tank, and another.
and i did not use chemicals to clean my tank or rock with
I do no just a little about sw.
anyway im not sure i wanna say thanx for the posts
but ...thanx anyways

waterfaller1
07/05/2007, 11:28 AM
You probably just disturbed the bacteria by stirring things up. Continue to monitor your parameters, keep up on water changes. If it is clearing up then it should be fine.

3fins
07/05/2007, 12:58 PM
ok thankyou water faller.

smartang22
07/05/2007, 02:15 PM
Wow! What do you know...more rude comments. Either be helpful or shut up.
I just think you could have clarified your questions/explainations a bit more.

Good luck. I found out the hard way not to use tap water; a huge cyano outbreak. But I do a 2 gallon water change a week and also use purigen and chemipure and they may or may not help. I just like them as piece of mind.

If you put the rock in there now you shouldn't have much of a re-cycle assuming you cleaned the rock and rinsed it and then stored it in clean water. Some bacteria will still be present and will start a small cycle over. JMO

Colerphon
07/05/2007, 02:19 PM
Wow what a grumpy set of posters.... Hey 3fins. Sounds like you are just having an algea bloom. My tank does that milky white thing once in awhile when I change some aspect of the bio load or what not similar to what waterfaller1 said. I would just be patient.
Dont use the cycle stuff. Just let nature run its course. Your tank has to reach an equilibrium and it will do just fine. Dont stock it for at least a month. i know its sucks looking into a barren tank. But its better to look into a tank that is empty because you choose it to be not because everything died.

Good luck, Just remember patience is the key to this hobby.

kkyyllee
07/05/2007, 02:24 PM
sandstorms can take a few days to settle

Illuminati
07/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Hey 3fins,

I hope you didn't take my post as being rude, looking back the tone might have been a little short but I've answered posts by you before and was trying to be helpful.

The part of my question about the rock had to do with my experiance of tanks clearing from sandstorms faster with rock in there than without, that's why I was asking if the rock was in the tank.

I have a RO for drinking and an RO/Di for the tank. My tap water (Well Water) is over 300 TDS, with the RO filter it's 17, with the RO/DI it's 0. If you have good quality tap water from the start you'll get better results with the RO machine.
Do you have city water?

Sounds like your on your way....

Good Luck

3fins
07/05/2007, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, thank you for the nice posts. and colinadam, i didnt take u as being rude just the others. and thank for ur advise Colerphon and smartang22. Im gald u guys could help me. And thankyou aslo for being patient with me. and its nice to have a lil boost of incurgment.
ill give u a up date as soon as i can.
and also if u want, u can look at my gallery at my moms little dwarf tank i made her.
hope everyone had a happy 4th
3fins

ggk1988
07/05/2007, 11:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10271852#post10271852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkyyllee

maybe you should try to be helpful which if what these forums are for...

abandund
07/06/2007, 12:58 AM
^^^I agree^^^
Anyways, keep up your water changes and watch the parameters for a while...the sand will settle. a perfect example of the quote "there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers." Unfortunately a few people gave you stupid answers instead of good advice.

3fins
07/06/2007, 09:45 AM
Hey last night i saw a spike in my ammonia its now at .25ppm so?
its been fine since july 1st. But other then that everthings good and nice.
thanx for the nice comments
3fins

aznlmpulse
07/06/2007, 10:22 AM
I agree that the cloudiness was probably caused by the sand storm.

What do you mean cycled it again? as in poured more "cycle" in the tank?

I can't really say how well that cycle in a bottle stuff works, as I have never used it before, but it's hard to believe that it could "cycle" a tank in one day which otherwise would take a week min. in my opinion. I personally like to wait longer and allow time for the nitrifying bacteria to grow in.

If you've taken all the water and sand out (stirring up everythingi n the process) and started over, you would've basically caused another cycle anyway.

If you've added nothing else to your tank, and are now seeing another spike in ammonia levels, you are definitely not done cycling.

I've never heard of an algae bloom turning the entire tank milky white, but at this point, you're too early for a break out anyways seeming how you removed everything from the tank and started over.

Since the big parts over and done with, I'd just stick to water changes to keep NH4 levels down (as it is more toxic to your livestock than NO3) and stop adding any other chemicals to the tank.

3fins
07/06/2007, 11:10 AM
o im realy srry i didnt clarify that for u .
Im cycling it again becuase i had to tank all the water out of the tank.(i belive it had copper in it)
i bought this stuff called cycle..it helps when u add fish adds bacteria and inverts to the tank.( it doest Cycle the tank, it just helps it).srry that was confusing.
thank you for your help
3fins

3fins
07/06/2007, 11:13 AM
oops i meant he helps add bacteria
and

also i took all the water out of the tank

not tank the water out of the tank

Slakker
07/06/2007, 12:16 PM
Problem is, you made it sound like you believed the cycle was complete when the water looked clear. That's a big problem.

Buying "Cycle" was an absolute waste of your money. The "Beneficial Bacteria Additives" have never been shown to actually do anything helpful. There should be no reason for you to have to add anything to your water when you add a fish, as long as you do it right and you give your tank a couple of months to balance out before adding another one.

3fins
07/06/2007, 02:11 PM
Problem is, you made it sound like you believed the cycle was complete when the water looked clear. That's a big problem.

^im srry that it sounded like that. thank u for the advise about the cycle stuff!!!! Some guy recomended it to me..so i thought id try it. =(
ill not use it.
have a nice day
3fins

GreyhoundTrish
07/06/2007, 08:38 PM
3Fins, you've been helpful and polite to me, as have others. I admit I was a bit surprised to see some of the initial posts, completely different than any I've come across since joining here, so I'm glad things have settled down..at least some.

Keep us posted on the progress. I know I definitely want to see it.

3fins
07/06/2007, 08:44 PM
hey thanks for your post.
its nice to have a friend on here
ill c what i can do about posting a pic. ( i have to find my camora)
brb

3fins
07/06/2007, 09:00 PM
hey guys im realy srry about this but i can show my pic cus i dont have the usb cable...my dad has it with him and hes on the plane now..maby ill post some on monday. Cus thats when he comes in

Crawling68
07/07/2007, 10:38 AM
What did you do with all your rock and sand when you took the water out of the tank?

3fins
07/07/2007, 03:46 PM
i put it in a bucket..cleaned it off ( it had hair algea) ...dumped the water..put new and clean water in it. Placed it back in the tank