PDA

View Full Version : removing ricordia from a rock

kjazlaw0
09/20/2002, 05:27 PM
subject says it all. what's the best way to go about this procedure without hideously maiming the coral?

Heavenly Damsel
09/20/2002, 06:34 PM
Why do you want to?

mnvigna
09/20/2002, 06:45 PM
The same way you would move an anemone...VERY carefully. It is not recommended that you do it because the risk of damage to the ricordia is high. So I have to agree with Heavenly Damsel on his response...Why do you want to?

berkeleyfishboi
09/20/2002, 07:32 PM
It's so hard to get ricordia to reattach anywhere else. So I would not try and remove it. I would just chip the rock around the ricordia if i was you.

goodluck...

KorbinDallas
09/20/2002, 08:51 PM
I tried to remove a small hitchiker ricordia from a polyp rock that I bought. I cleverly decided to use a razor blade to scrape it up off the rock. Needless to say, there was a lot of brown fluid coming out and I ended up with 3 itty bitty ricordias in the end. 2 of which are coming along nicely.

In my opinion, they are pretty hard to kill, but almost impossible to successfully detach from a rock.

Todd March
09/21/2002, 01:10 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!!

I tried it, Gently pulling away a GOREGOUS Florida Ricordia from a fragment of rock it was attached to... After the removal, it kept falling out of the rock crevice I was trying to get it to attach to, and the Ricordia was shriveled and VERY annoyed for a couple of weeks...

Then one morning it was just gone... I looked everywhere, and it was just plain gone... I'm sure it was an expensive meal for someone...

What is particularily annoying is that this was an exsquisite pink and cobalt blue Ricordia that I paid $50 for... I just should have left it attached to the silly little rock fragment it came on, no matter how much it disfigured the polyp...

I will NEVER bother a Ricordia again. These are not like other mushrooms that will re-attach practicaly over night...

Todd March
09/21/2002, 01:14 AM
IGNORE

ChrisIsBored
09/21/2002, 02:49 AM
If you don't want it... i'll take it :D

slojmn
09/21/2002, 07:53 AM
I would leave it as well. On the flip side of Todd's post I received some gorgeous pink and blue polyped Ricirdea florida recently. After a few weeks one of the multiple mouthed polyps was partially attached to a small shell fragment and to the piece of rubble. It was expanding and flipping hte shell over which had a baby on it that I did not want to lose. I pulled the shell to detach the large one from it and ended up pulling the multipled mouthed large ricordea polyp in half, ooooops. I placed the shell with the baby and half the large polyp on a rock and left the other section as is. I now have more polyps as both halves are healing just fine. This was more of a mistake than anything and it could have been a rather expensive mistake but it seems to have all worked out.

Palmetto
09/21/2002, 08:58 AM
If it is R. Yuma, you can simply slice it off the stem with a razor blade and sit it in a quiet area in some gravel. I use a tupperware bowl full of larger pieces of crushed coral, and put it in a lower-current area in an established tank. I actually have two tanks dedicated to doing this, as I raise and reproduce an awful lot of R.Yuma. I have torn, sliced, and nearly minced dozens of Ricordea Yuma to see how quickly I can reproduce them by various methods. Even the smallest pieces form full disks if given some current and not tied down by any means while they are waiting to attach. I have been very successful with propagating these Ricordeas.

R. Florida is much more difficult, and you risk losing the disk to a sliming effect. I have not had much R. Florida at all, so I have not been able to experiment with this- but one effort to simply slice a couple of incredible ones in half ended up with 4 melted pieces.

slojmn
09/21/2002, 09:50 AM
Darren, wow...melted huh? guess I was kind of lucky since my two halves seem just fine a week later.

Palmetto
09/21/2002, 10:05 AM
Yes, but I really don't know if they would have made it without the cut- I broke the rules of patience, fragging them only a week after I got them.

I want to get more R. Florida to work with, but all of the many Ricordea I have been getting in have all been Yuma!

Nice ones though, eh?

:D

http://www.palmettoreefs.com/gallery/darren/DCP_2071_.jpg