PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Nano - Cycling?

kev-dog1
07/02/2007, 09:58 AM
My wife has asked me to save the Perculas, as we sell and then move to a new house.

So I'm thinking about setting up a Nano, possibly an Aquapod, at work.

I will start with 98% new substrate, adding a bit of my live sand to "seed" the new sandbed. I can use new water or as much of the water from the existing tank as fit. And I have two pieces of leftover LR with some polyps and shrooms no one wanted to buy in my moving sale. And the Percs.

It has been WAY TOO LONG since I've set up a tank and had to go thru the cycle phase. Can someone walk be thru this again?

thanks
kev

fishdoc11
07/02/2007, 11:44 AM
If you use the existing live rock you will not experience much, if any cycle. That is assuming you kept the rock in water and aerated. If it were me I would use about half old water and set it up just like you described and you should be good to go.
hth, Chris

kev-dog1
07/02/2007, 01:05 PM
Hey man
How's Knoxville treating you?
I was hoping that minimal cycle effect would be the case if I used the same rock and some of the same water...thanks for chiming in.
Kev

SRT80
07/02/2007, 01:36 PM
i pretty much did the same thing. Before the frag swap, I wanted 2 clowns from fishboy, a black/white and onyx. So, I set my 10 gal. up with new sand, and took a little from my tank. I then got 3 good size pieces of rock from my brothers tank and used some dry base rock. I did test about 10 on nitrates, but it ended up goin' down to 0 on my kits within a week. I did add some seachem stability because I used that when I set up my first tanka nd seemed to help. Now I'm battling red slime algae, but the same thing happen to my 20 gal after 5-6 months of runnin'. I'll try chemiclean since it worked in my 20 well.

Steve