PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Juvie Grey Angels

fatdaddy
06/29/2007, 10:02 AM
I have nori, algae, and plenty of sponge. Anything else I can try/do?

I'm planning out a rather large Carribean tank, so I picked up 3 juvie Grey Angels. I have plenty of sponge in my tank that I could live without, but I haven't seem them eat yet. Just a few days, and they seem happy enough and schooling/playing together. The smaller of the three seems to spend more time on it's own.

I'm not worried (yet), but just fishing for ideas.

Flint&Eric
06/29/2007, 10:59 AM
this works for butterflies and usually angels as well.

buy some clams/oysters/scallops at your grocery store with the shell...crack the shell open and they will pick at the insides.

also try some rod's food or the like...all the flavors should stimulate their appetite.

roshi719
06/29/2007, 02:49 PM
Garlic on everything, and also cyclops

plummike
06/29/2007, 03:12 PM
mine loves macro and brine shrimp

fatdaddy
06/29/2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks! I had some freshwater frozen food that I bought my mistake. Cyclops. They love it.

They seem to look for small food items in the current, etc. They completely ignore flake.

I have 1# can of brine shrimp eggs. It looks like I better start cooking up a batch.

Hormigaquatica
06/29/2007, 04:14 PM
I wonder if that extra stress of having 3 together is enough to deter them from feeding (the 2 least dominant ones at any rate). Juvenile greys arent social fish- rather territorial if I remember correctly. Adults may pair up, but you would need a large tank to do that- 250+ to begin to be fair.

You can also try finely chopped squid, Mysis shrimp, and maybe scatter some strips of Nori around the tank. Brine might work just to get the settled in and feeding aggressivly, but the adults have very little nutritional value, and the angels will quickly outgrow newly hatched nauplii.

fatdaddy
06/29/2007, 04:33 PM
So far, they've been sticking together with very limited/playful aggression. They've been occupying a volume of about 10 gallons, but free to roam in a 110g tank. They seem to like this area where the rocks keep me from cleaning the glass. There are lots of unoccupied caves to hide in.

I'll definitely need to separate at least one or all at some point. I'm watching them carefully although I realize how fast things can go down hill.

btw, how long do they stay Juvenile? I've only seen them in the wild and at one LFS. My Fish ID & behavior books aren't much help.

fatdaddy
06/30/2007, 04:26 PM
One of my angels has a bulging eye. I'm not sure what to do with him. I noticed that it was staying aloof from the others, but it seems to be eating fine.

Any suggestions?