PDA

View Full Version : Would anybody care for some soup?

Lint_Licker
06/28/2007, 08:27 PM
I walked into my fish room a little while ago and it was dark and quite... Im thinking what the hell now! Those of you who know me pretty well know I have crap for luck so far this year, been one thing after another. Well I started checking around on the floor water (thats what happened last time that started the fire) no water to be found. So I went in to the utility room and flipped the breaker back on, and then I heard something getting electricuted. I tipped toe'd backinto the fish room making sure I wasn't walking in any puddles, and saw one of my 110g stock tanks boiling. Apparently it had been boiling for a while before it tripped the breaker cause there was only about 4"s of water left in it, and its 20"s tall.

Apparently, my heater cracked some how and fried everything. Lots a lot of frags that survived the crash along with lots n lots of other stuff including some fishies.

Anybody know if bacteria can survive electricution? The liverock in there is toast, its all brown, no longer purple.

So if anybody wants any soup, Ive got a big stock of it...

If it wasnt for bad luck, I'd have no luck

fishdoc11
06/28/2007, 09:47 PM
:(

NeveSSL
06/28/2007, 11:48 PM
Wow, man. I am really sorry to hear that.

I'm very glad you or any one else in your house was not hurt, though. Maybe just like Gary this will turn into good. I certainly hope so.

Keep us updated, man.

Brandon

ReefRacer
06/29/2007, 08:37 AM
Holy Cow,
GFCI and ground probes are a must. Did it really boil the water thats unbelievable seems like the breaker would pop right away and shut it off.

Mike

kev-dog1
06/29/2007, 09:10 AM
I've been there man...just like you I had a heater bust and I guess the electric current fried everything. the only thing that survived was a maroon clown.

Sorry for your misfortune

Lint_Licker
06/29/2007, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10238851#post10238851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefRacer
Holy Cow,
GFCI and ground probes are a must. Did it really boil the water thats unbelievable seems like the breaker would pop right away and shut it off.

Mike

I dont know how it took the breaker to trip, but when I flipped it back on, it was on for a couple of mins before I figured out what was going on and unplugged it. The water was boiling at the heater when I unplugged. About a 2" piece is gone from the end of the heater. Im just glad I hadnt plumbed that tank in with other tanks yet.

gflat65
06/29/2007, 06:04 PM
Hate to hear that. I hate being on the losing end...

I helped someone move a tank once and the other guy plugged in the heater before we got the tank filled (I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing...). Within a few seconds, it popped, but started shocking everything. I niced the fish twitching and realized what was happening and got it unplugges before it killed all of them (I think two didn't make it). Gotta love electricity and conductors... Definitely go with a GFCI if you don;t have one. I used a breaker GFCI and wasn't too fond of it because it tripped all the time for no reason. I don't think the wall units are typically as sensitive.

Lint_Licker
06/29/2007, 08:18 PM
Ive got some GFCI's comming. But everything in that stock tank is toast. Even the coraline, its brown now. Skimmer is going nuts in there.

NeveSSL
06/29/2007, 08:31 PM
You still have your skimmer going? Did you have some stuff survive?

Brandon

Lint_Licker
06/29/2007, 09:16 PM
I left it going untill I find out about the bacteria.

NeveSSL
06/29/2007, 10:52 PM
Gotcha.

Brandon

Canarygirl
06/29/2007, 11:09 PM
How traumatic is this! Nightmare.

What kind of heater broke? Was it glass?

Lint_Licker
06/30/2007, 01:30 AM
yeah it was glass, the rest are titanium. I just hadnt switched it over yet.

about 2"s of the tip of it shattered.