PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Flow!!

ReefJunkieOK
06/28/2007, 08:16 PM
All,

I have a 120 (4x2x2) gallon fledgling SPS tank and am having some flow issues. My return pump is a Mag 24 which goes into a manifold with two outlets in the front corners that are pointed at the rear opposite corners. I realize that this no where near the amount of flow that I will need as my baby frags begin to grow. Also, I am noticing a lot of detritus and other gunk accumulating on the sand bed (which is sugar fine aragonite). I would like to get two Koralia’s either 3’s or 4’s for the back corners but am struggling with the decision. Will the 4’s be too much flow and create a sand storm? Will this take care of my sand bed issues? Would 3’s be better for my setup? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,
John

sirreal63
06/28/2007, 08:25 PM
The 4's would be a better choice and I would suggest an mjmod over the koralia. I have both and the mjmod is a better choice for flow. The sand will go where it wants to and won't be a sandstorm. I have enough flow to keep the sand pushed to the corners and ends of a 6' tank and I am using southdown. SPS need flow, lots of it and in a random pattern.

ReefJunkieOK
06/28/2007, 08:27 PM
Will this keep the sand bed looking clean and white?

flyyyguy
06/28/2007, 08:32 PM
I think your return pump is WAY too much. Unless you have a honkin skimmer or are diverting a bunch of flow to a chiller, there is no need to move any more water by your skimmer than it can process. otherwise you are just sending dirty unskimmed water back to the tank whcih doesnt help your overall skimming efficiency.

Flow in tank should be achieved via powerheads or closed loops, not your return pump.

sirreal63
06/28/2007, 08:35 PM
Mine is but there are more factors that come into play on keeping your sand white. New tanks will typically not be pretty after a few months. mature tanks typically have cleaner looking sand. It takes at least a year before a tank becomes "mature". Your cleanup crew has a lot to do with this as well. True nassarius snails are awesome as are bristleworms. I also have a conch that does great at keeping things tidy.

I don't worry about sand, I let it go where it wants to and every few months I will move some back to the center and within a few weeks it is all right back where it wanted to be. I personally do not believe that the cleanliness is due to flow alone. Maturity of a system and stability of parameters are more important coupled with an efficient cleanup crew. This is of course my experience, your mileage may vary.

sirreal63
06/28/2007, 08:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10236298#post10236298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
I think your return pump is WAY too much. Unless you have a honkin skimmer or are diverting a bunch of flow to a chiller, there is no need to move any more water by your skimmer than it can process. otherwise you are just sending dirty unskimmed water back to the tank whcih doesnt help your overall skimming efficiency.

Flow in tank should be achieved via powerheads or closed loops, not your return pump.

I happen to agree with this as well. I only run about 400 gph to my sump and rely on powerheads for flow. One thing to consider is that Mag is a horribly inefficient pump, it uses too much elect. and gets way too hot. Mag pumps are very good heaters though. :D