PDA

View Full Version : MTRC in Singapore

crumbletop
06/28/2007, 04:20 PM
Greetings from Singapore!

I'm in Singapore for several days and one of the plans is to see some of the local fish shops, as well as hook up with some of the folks from the Singapore Reef Club. I'll try to get pics of stuff I see. There are some way cool reef tanks in Singapore that I have seen posted in the SPS forum from time to time, and hopefully I will get a chance to see one or two of them. Anyway, hope everyone in Nashville is doing well. I'm still getting adjusted to the time zone here (it's 5:19 am as I post this).

gflat65
06/28/2007, 05:05 PM
MTRC goes global:). Have fun. I'll make it over there one of these days. You ought to try to find some diving:).

fishdoc11
06/28/2007, 09:59 PM
Have fun:D

Fanof49ASU
06/29/2007, 08:51 AM
Party at Jack's house.......byob!

fishdoc11
06/29/2007, 08:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10238932#post10238932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fanof49ASU
Party at Jack's house.......byob!

Is that bring your own baggies:D

Fanof49ASU
06/29/2007, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10238949#post10238949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11

:lol: Frag party at Jacks.

crumbletop
06/29/2007, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10238949#post10238949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10240998#post10240998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fanof49ASU
:lol: Frag party at Jacks.

Hey guys, hands off :uzi:

:lol:

I imagine it won't be too long before that is actually a reality. Some of those corals are really starting to take off.

gflat65
06/29/2007, 05:59 PM
I left some small stuff for you guys:D.

crumbletop
07/09/2007, 05:10 PM
Well, I'm back and now am adjusting to central time. There is a 13 hour difference. I saw a few large reef tanks while there with some nice tables, but didn't get any pics. I did get a picture of this pretty decent looking bird.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/c/r/crumbletop/images/singapore/cool_bird.jpg

fishdoc11
07/09/2007, 05:28 PM
Oh he's puuuuurty:)

Welcome home!

Chris

Fanof49ASU
07/09/2007, 05:31 PM
Beautiful shot Jack!!!

KAiNE
07/09/2007, 05:47 PM
Excellant shot Jack!!

Looks like a Rainbow Lori/Green naped lori.

Cool bird but it needs/eats nector which makes it very messy.....as if they all aren't...lol

NeveSSL
07/10/2007, 12:07 AM
WOW! Thats crazy!

What kind of bird is it? And how did you get that close? :)

Brandon

jfolley67
07/10/2007, 12:07 AM
welcome back!! glad you are back safely and hope you had a memorable trip!

crumbletop
07/10/2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks!

Yeah, they have a bird park there with huge fenced in areas. This was in the Lori loft. I'm not sure what kind of Lori, but Kaine would probably know. Based on his input above it is probably a Rainbow Lori or a Green Naped Lori. There were many different colors of Lori there and the kids got a chance to feed them. Here is a pic that shows the kids feeding them, and gives a hint at the size of the cage/tent. It was huge. The elevated walkways were almost 40 feet above the ground.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/c/r/crumbletop/images/singapore/lori_tent.jpg

The closeup pic I got was toward the middle of the area. This guy was just hanging out in a slightly shaded spot and let me get to within a few feet of him.

Here is a link to the park: http://www.birdpark.com.sg/attractions/loryloft.html

KAiNE
07/10/2007, 07:52 AM
Yea.. its a Rainbow Lori (aka green naped).

Did they give out cups of nector for the kids to feed?
Did you get to checkout the other aviaries they have there?

My wife is jealous, she's been wanting to visit that park for some time. Its one of the best in the world.

crumbletop
07/10/2007, 08:55 AM
Yes, they gave out cups of nectar for the kids (or we had to pay a few cents for a cup). I also got to check out the other varieties, but didn't get great pics of them. Some were bright orange/red, others more green. Groups of them would fly around very vast in a wide circle and I got buzzed by one who came really close (as in within millimeters, it seems) to my head as he flew by. I don't know a whole lot about birds, but we went to a bunch of different exhibits and shows. It was a great place to see.

Another thing we did while there was a night safari at the zoo. They have a pretty open zoo where not much is caged in or isolated. Our tram would go right by animals that you could literally reach out and touch except for the warning from the guide that you could get your arm chomped off. That kind of thing wouldn't fly in the states, but it was really cool to see animals in something much more like their natural state/habitat than we have at most zoos here.

KAiNE
07/10/2007, 09:44 AM
Very cool... I had heard that about their zoo.

My wife has a friend in PA somewhere that breeds some of the rarer lories... (iris and blacks) they are really neat birds but since they eat nector they tend to "projectile" poop... making them one of the harder parrots to clean up after.... wife's friend talks about cleaning poop off the ceiling....lol

What took you out there, vacation or work?

I envy you!

crumbletop
07/10/2007, 11:16 AM
I was out there on vacation. My parents are living there for 3 years -- working for Duke Medical Center who is contracted with the Singapore Gov't to set up a new medical school there. It was a really great trip. I'm pumped about it and liked it even more than I thought I would.