PDA

View Full Version : ACE Super Glue Gel better than IC Gel IMO

Kinetic
06/26/2007, 12:01 PM
I bought a tube of IC Gel at the last frag swap to see how it would work out, but again, I must go back to my Super Glue Gel.

The IC Gel just takes too long to harden, I can't prop any SPS like branches upwards at all because of it, and Holding the frag out of water or under water with my hands definitely ****es it off.

I tried applying glue to my disks first for like 4-5 minutes, then attach the frag, it still was too soft.

With super glue gel, I am able to apply it to the frag disk, stick the frag on it, and set it down on the frag rack under water. It'll be soft for a second or two, then without the powerheads on whatever frag is on there will hold.

There is one exception of course, my Armor of Gods as you all know ;)

But otherwise, I'm sticking with super glue gel =(

What are your experiences with IC Gel? Everyone says it's great, but have you tried super glue gel from ACE?

fishnfst
06/26/2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure but mine seems to setup in about 30 seconds.. IT will still be slightly soft but by then i can add it to the tank.. I put a small dab onto the frag plug then blot the bottom of my frag on a paper towel then press them together.. I sprinkle water onto the base where the frag and glue meet and hold for 30 seconds.. I then dip it into a bowl of sw from the tank a couple times then into the frag rack it goes.. You could still feel the tackiness of the gel but its plenty to hold it even with my return pump still going... I'll have to try teh ace gel just for kicks..

Kinetic
06/26/2007, 12:29 PM
I agree it can be done pretty quickly in 30 seconds, but the ACE gel seems to take a firmer hold, more quickly.

i'll probably do a few more tests soon to see the comparison.

Elite
06/26/2007, 12:37 PM
when I glue my frag, I toss them back in the fuge instead of the tank. Let them sit there for couple hours then put them back into display. You don't have to worry about too much flow or holding the frag outside too long.

I love IC Gel. I tried several kind of Super Gel and the tip dried the next time I want to use it. I hate that.

Kinetic
06/26/2007, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10218359#post10218359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
when I glue my frag, I toss them back in the fuge instead of the tank. Let them sit there for couple hours then put them back into display. You don't have to worry about too much flow or holding the frag outside too long.

I love IC Gel. I tried several kind of Super Gel and the tip dried the next time I want to use it. I hate that.

oh yeah, super glue gel tips easily dry out because they harden so darn fast. I have to glue, then cap immediately, then put the frag on the disk. I actually like the way super glue gel hardens so fast, but yes, i agree it is annoying to keep needing to cut the tip off with scissors every so often =P

fingerwrinkles
06/26/2007, 05:27 PM
I've used both extensively and have been pleased in both cases. The only drawbacks with the Ace gel is that the tips clog as you mention, plus when gluing on a big frag, I need to use almost an entire tube of Ace. Therefore I really like the good size globs one gets with the larger IC tube.