PDA

View Full Version : DIY `Smart` Sump Design?

csnow
09/17/2002, 09:09 PM
Catchy Title?

Alright, i'll get right to it. My "reef-in-waiting" is located next to my Laundry room. The interesting part is, i am but 20 ft. away from a water drainage point (floor drain) in that room. So, I have decided to attempt to plumb my system, to be able to utilize the drain for water changing purposes, hence the smart sump:

The idea:
To have an overflow pipe which runs directly to the drain, whereby any addition of liquid, causes a rise in the sump level, and subseqeunt draining off of water from the tank system down the drain, effectively changing the water.

Potential Problems:
Where to introduce new water so that you don't end up dumping a large portion of it down the drain

My answer/theory:

My idea, is to have new saltwater flow in (from a barrel in the laundry room, either triggered by an electronic sprinkler solenoid, or a pump on a minute timer) via a pvc line, into the pump compartment of the sump, maybe directly into the pump via a "T-VALVE" (- note i suspect this will stress the pump, and play havoc with the "two pump" idea) in hopes of pumping the fresh saltwater into the tank, and forcing the old stuff over the tank's overflow, down into the sump, and eventually over the drain overflow. With the end result being an automated water change system. Additionally I will have a float switch in the sump controlling KALK water top off (barrell also located in laundry and connected via pvc/vinyl), which shouldn't effect the setup as new saltwater being introduced will only raise the valve, thus closing it. THe key is to simply position the valve accurately, so that when the sump is full, it does not overflow into the drain.

Any ideas, critiques?

csnow

Zephrant
09/18/2002, 02:59 PM
Sounds need- I may do a similar thing, I have not drilled the sump for the overflow yet though. My concern is that it would be possible for my ro/di float/switch to go haywire, and push lots of fresh water in... with the overflow directly to the drain, I might not notice as fast as I would a big puddle on the floor.

Maybe a water-alarm that is deactivated when you are changing the water, but goes off if sees water when it should not in the overflow to the drain?

Zeph