PDA

View Full Version : Ooooh Nooooo!!!

stryker
06/22/2007, 11:39 PM
AAAAAAAHHHHH!

My wife called me at work and told me my tank was leaking again. She said it was a slow leak so i wasn't too worried. I hurried home and found expecting a skimmer overflow.

It was my skimmer overflowing from the collection cup.... but worse yet, my tank water was cloudy and i smelled death! After a quick look, i discovered that my 8" fan that sits over my sump had fallen into the water with the power on! HOLY CRAP! I quickly unplugged it and realized that it was zapping my tank for who knows how long! All my corals were stressed and sliming. BTA was deflated. Fish seemed okay though. I think the secretions from the corals caused my skimmer to go nuts and overflow.

Tank was definitely toxic so i added 2 bags of carbon and moved almost all my coral out into my prop tank.

Too early for casualty count but i hope my prized peices don't die!

Make sure you secure your equipment. We pack so much electrical equipment and plumbing into our setups that it's a dangerous combo!

This might be a turning point for me. Not sure which way though...

Captain skip
06/22/2007, 11:44 PM
i'll pray for you!

pookstreet
06/22/2007, 11:46 PM
Sorry to hear you are having problems Terry. Hope everything turns out ok for you. I wished I could do more than offer useless words of encouragement :(

EmDy
06/23/2007, 12:02 AM
Terry,
Let me know if you need help.

five.five-six
06/23/2007, 12:15 AM
amquil

bennyinca
06/23/2007, 12:39 AM
Terry, hope your fish and corals turn out ok,

If you need anything, let me know: carbon / salt / rodi / QT / etc.

xtm
06/23/2007, 12:50 AM
sorry to hear that.. LMK also what I can help you with. I've been through this and it was a terrible feeling.

Was the fan connected to a GFCI?

chaffey
06/23/2007, 12:51 AM
thats suck, LMK if I can help in anyways.

Onesaltydawg
06/23/2007, 12:57 AM
That blows...if I could help just ask

Project Reef
06/23/2007, 02:26 AM
Man that totally blows Terry. Always the weirdest things cause tank mishaps. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and feel free to let me know if you need a helping hand.

Jimbo327
06/23/2007, 02:42 AM
It's always that Murphy!

Yinger
06/23/2007, 02:57 AM
soo sorry to hear Terry. GL and I hope you stick with it. I've heard many great things about your tank. Let me know if you need any help

sammoorefield
06/23/2007, 11:41 AM
Im surprised it didnt trip the gfci or breaker. Do you have a grounding probe in your system?

I know what you mean about having electrical stuff and water too close together. My stand looks like a spider web of wires dangling over my sump. Probably need to buy a bag of zip ties and some new plug banks and just redo the whole thing.

Good luck with saving your corals!

Frankysreef
06/23/2007, 01:16 PM
CAN YOU SAY GFCI!

Seriously every circuit should be protected.

Considering the money that we all spend on our tanks... a gfci is cheap insurance.

sammoorefield
06/23/2007, 01:20 PM
Yeah, its like having a check engine light on your fish tank. Its a clear indicator somthing is wrong when it tripps.

Jar*Head
06/23/2007, 01:25 PM
His tank and live stock should be fine. I dropped off 30g of RODI/TM pro to him last night at 1030pm. After a large water change and couple weeks of brown out. Terry should be back to normal soon.

Frankysreef
06/23/2007, 01:32 PM
I have 2 bathroom quality 20 amp gfcis on my system..

mostly because of the fact that I and my tank got zapped when an old rio pump failed, and zapped me and the fish...

I will never use power strips again... and always use a gfci or 2

stryker
06/23/2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the support guys. Thanks to lineaspoke for the help moving corals to the prop tank. Thanks REEFER714 for the late night water delivery.

The water stayed cloudy for the night even after the 30g water change. We could not move everything out of the display so I left some lps, zoas and sps that i could not fit in the prop, or that were encrusted onto large rocks. This morning, the smell is still there, I found a couple of dead fish, but the rest survived. LPS are doing okay, zoas are starting to open again. SPS that were left in the display are mostly dead. birdsnest and poccilipora might pull through. I lost about 10 mini colonies, and 30 various frags. I am so glad I had my prop tank running because i was able to save my large colonies and favorite peices from the ammonia bath.

I do not have a GFIC on the system. The fan was hooked up to my ACJr on temp control. I though i had everything secured, but I thought wrong. There is just too much stuff going on inside my stand with the sump, pump, CL, ATO, UV, fuge, electricals, transformers, extension cords, plumbing. Many lessons learned.

stryker
06/23/2007, 04:44 PM
Forgot to mention that i had to pull out a large crocea clam that was spitting his guts out. I put him in a LR holding tank and this morning the water was super NASTY.

I'll keep doing WC until things get back to normal, rescape a bit and put the livestock back.

lineaspoke
06/23/2007, 10:57 PM
Hey Terry, I was just glad to be there to help.

Don't worry man, i think after this incident, your tank is going to come back bigger, better, and more awesome than it ever was before.

w/ Reefer714's help of course! = )

We all learn for our mistakes and misfortunes!

ezcompany
06/24/2007, 01:04 AM
Sorry about everything bro, let me know if i can help in any way.

Jar*Head
06/24/2007, 01:40 AM
He needs lot of corals and clams at this time

ezcompany
06/24/2007, 01:45 AM
which i don't have cuz my crap crashed too lol

raskal311
06/24/2007, 02:13 AM
Terry, Steve (not REEFER714 steve) told me how you helped him out when his tank crashed. Swing by and pick out any clam we have in stock our clam tank.

Scissorhand
06/24/2007, 05:46 AM
Hey terry...

let me know if you need help.

sorry about what happened.