PDA

View Full Version : Converting Battery to Wired

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 06:57 AM
With all the awesomely bright LED flashlights out there, one has to wonder if a light for a nano could be made by dismantling a pair of the high 'wattage' lights and wire them for 110v?

That or the new 'incandecent' LED bulbs - they screw into a normal incandecent socket - possibly the same sort of thing could be contemplated?

Anyone done something like this, and if so, how much of a pain is it? Are the connections straight forward? Any tips you can give?

Thanks!

smcdonn
06/22/2007, 08:16 AM
If you use LED's from a flashlight, just see what voltage they are running at by adding up the number of batteries in series. Most are 1.5V so if you have 2 in series, thats 3 V. Then you will just have to get a AC/DC converter that will run at 3 V

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 08:38 AM
Ah,
Good idea.

Any thoughts on the hookup? I took apart an LED nightlight I had, to see if it could be converted from a wall-wart/socket to a wired plug-in, but haven't figured that one out yet.
I'd think a flashlight would be straight forward though...

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 09:42 AM
This is the light I was thinking of. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150134239771&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=150134228112&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget)

Or maybe just one of this badboy. (http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/super-bright-2mode-2xlir-rechargeable-p-519.html)

My main concern is power flow. For maximum life, the LEDs need an even flow of power, and not all wall-warts live up, from what I read. Anyone know of a readily available brand of reliable wall-wart, or know what the kind that are regulated are called?

Or could a PC/laptop/cell phone power supply be used?

funman1
06/22/2007, 11:31 AM
PC power supplies work GREAT for good voltage.
If you have a newer power supply they won't turn on unless you "Jump start" them.

To jump start a power supply,
simply put a wire from the green wire to any black wire on the motherboard connector of the power supply.
As long as there's a jumper wire there the power supply will run.

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 11:45 AM
I had a garage sale this last weekend, and while cleaning out the garage, cleared out 3 boxes of old hardware. Among the relics was a Pre-ATX supply, and it tests good. No one bought it (I only had a quarter on it) :(
Maybe I could use that.
I also have a couple ATX style.
I found this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

Sound like it would work?

funman1
06/22/2007, 12:06 PM
yeah looks good.

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 12:08 PM
This might sound stupid, but how will I know which one to hook the lights to?

ITGUY
06/22/2007, 12:51 PM
The AT power supply has white Molex connectors that would have gone to a drive. The voltage is 5 VDC on the yellow and 12 VDC on the red. (please test with a meter to be sure). A rheostat or such will be needed if your LED's require different voltage.
Please heed the warning about opening up a PC power supply.
There is enough voltage in theose capicators to cause you real harm.

Barry

BrainBandAid
06/22/2007, 05:24 PM
Don't forget about the current through the LEDs. You need to put a current limiting resistor in series with the LED(s) so it lasts more than a milisecond.

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10195147#post10195147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrainBandAid
Don't forget about the current through the LEDs. You need to put a current limiting resistor in series with the LED(s) so it lasts more than a milisecond.

Not that I knw anything, but won't that be built into the flashlight?

Icefire
06/22/2007, 05:45 PM
Use a ac/dc rated for the voltage of the flashlight

Insane Reefer
06/22/2007, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10195292#post10195292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
Use a ac/dc rated for the voltage of the flashlight

I thought of that, but most ac.dc wall-warts are poorly manufactured and no-where stable enough to drive LED's without loss of LED life.
Now a good quality one on the other hand...

Icefire
06/22/2007, 08:07 PM
ac-dc are no magic, a stepdown transformer, diode bridge and a capacitor.

You can buy filtred acdc or get a cheap one and add a capacitor.

But led have 50-100000 hours of life anyway. And leds don't need ultra stable current. I have 45 leds in series of 120v with a diode bridge, a capacitor and a resistor.

Stable current = stable light output, that's all.

BrainBandAid
06/23/2007, 09:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10195243#post10195243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Insane Reefer
Not that I knw anything, but won't that be built into the flashlight?

Yup. I thought you were hacking the LEDs out of the flashlight.

If you're just replacing the batteries with an external power supply, a wall-wart really would be fine. As long as you don't go over voltage, sloppy power won't hurt the LEDs at all. There's better filtering in a decent one than you'd probably build on your own.

Mouser (http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=419-10320-3virtualkey21980000virtualkey419-10320-3) has +/- 5% load regulated wall-warts at 3 or 3.3VDC, but they're like $25.00.

Am4nn
06/23/2007, 12:05 PM
Check out solaris LED lighting.

funman1
06/23/2007, 12:59 PM
Icefire, is dead on correct.
You don't even need current limiting resistors if you have the voltage correct.

I have been using LED for years.
Here check out this creation of mine...

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=253316&hl=landing+lights

Be sure to check out the videos of it, that's the cool part..
;)

Insane Reefer
06/23/2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys :)
I am planning on taking the case away, but keeping the innards - and then hooking to a regular wall plug-in.

In your opinions, would the 18w light be better, or the 100LED light be the way to go?

I'm thinking with 18W, if I go with two, I should be able to keep the moderate light beasties, you think?

trainfever
06/23/2007, 02:53 PM
Go to your local hobby or train shop and get a power pack used to operate DC trains. These are the ones used to operate H.O. trains. They are cheap and you can variate the voltage you need. They are used all the time to power lights in the train hobby.

Insane Reefer
06/23/2007, 03:38 PM
I'll look into that Trainfever - I have a friend whose father is a train addict too - maybe he would lend me one to test with...
Thanks!
:D