PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Wiring a Pendant and Ballast

bph0013
06/20/2007, 03:05 PM
I made this diagram, which isn't that great. I want to make sure I am grounding this setup properly. It is a PFO 250w Mini Pendant with a Sunlight Supply male adapter going into a female adapter which will be wired to the ARO ballast with the output going in a 120v 5' foot three pronged plug into the outlet.

Do I just twist the appropriate wires together and wrap them in electrical tape to do the actual wiring? With the way I have it wired will it be safe and grounded. Thanks in advance. Also in the pic the yellow wire represents the actual white wire.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/115431wiring_diagram__Small_.JPG

bph0013
06/20/2007, 03:31 PM
^

bph0013
06/20/2007, 03:59 PM
^

PaulErik
06/20/2007, 05:44 PM
The disconnect (quick connect) has 3 wires. The green from the disconnect and the ground wire from the ballast should get connected to the green/ground wire from the power cord.

noodles9987
06/21/2007, 07:32 AM
The best way to connect the wire leads is by twisting them together and soldering them. If you go to home depot, they have shrink wrap for electrical cords. You basically heat up the black shrink wrap and as it heats, it shrinks. The instructions tell you to put 2 layers of the shrink wrap stuff on the wires. So, you twist the wires and then solder the connection. Then, you move 1 of the pieces of shrink wrap over the soldered area and heat it up. Once it cools, you then slide a second piece over the first piece and heat that up. The wrap gives the soldered area some rigidity. It takes about 5 minutes to do 1 wire. And, the solder will eliminate the wires from getting coroded. The shrink wrap will insulate the soldered area and keep moisture from getting in.

Icefire
06/21/2007, 11:18 AM
if the black/white/green are connected to the ballast, it's grounded.

to make connection it's either solder/heatshrink or connection box/wirenut.

where do you need to splice?