PDA

View Full Version : When you get a "bucket" of salt, do you pour the bags in?

NeveSSL
06/18/2007, 10:29 PM
Hi all!

I was just curious...

I bought a bucket of salt today (first one so far, needless to say) and it was 3 50lb bags in a bucket.

Do you guys pour the bags in the bucket or just leave the salt in the bags and use them one at a time with the bucket essentially being a novelty item at that point?

Thanks!

Brandon

marinelife
06/18/2007, 10:31 PM
What kind of salt was it, I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystels and it is just in the bucket

glaudds
06/18/2007, 10:31 PM
Leave the salt sealed in the bags until you need it. Moisture in the air can cause the salt to cake up over time.

NeveSSL
06/18/2007, 10:32 PM
Coralife. It was just three of their 50 gallon bags without printing on them. :)

Brandon

rsw686
06/18/2007, 10:34 PM
Does the salt bucket lid have a seal on it to keep mositure out? If not thats why its in bags and you should leave it in the bags. I've bought IO Reef Crystals and Oceanic salt and its always just been in the bucket, but the lids screw or clamp on tight.

Billybeau1
06/18/2007, 10:52 PM
I've used Coralife. Just open up a bag at a time and keep the bucket sealed.

Did you get a tee-shirt :D

NeveSSL
06/19/2007, 01:07 AM
lol... I did get a T-shirt! With Lionfish... are there different ones?

Yeah, I don't think the bucket is sealed... and its extremely hard to get off, anyways... heh.

Thanks guys.

Brandon

thrillreefer
06/19/2007, 02:10 AM
The best is when you get a beach towel or a mini powerhead for mixing!

Pea-brain
06/19/2007, 02:13 AM
I just left mine in the bags. They have these convenient little ziplock bag type things on them to keep moisture out. +1 on the hard to get out. I nearly broke my fingers trying to pry it open. And I got a white tee with a whole bunch of colorful fish on the back. I'll trade with you!

Fiziksgeek
06/19/2007, 07:45 AM
I pour salt into one of those plastic storage bins made for dog or cat food. It has a good seal to keep the moisture out, and wheels. Stores out of the way nicely, and I can just wheel it over to my mixing container when needed!

NeveSSL
06/19/2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys... I'll have to look into the pet food containers... Wal Mart is dangerously 3 minutes down the road (less than a mile... lol) and I remember seeing some there last time I was there.

A beach towel for mixing? lol... I hadn't thought about that one yet... I do have a cheap walmart power head that came with some other stuff I bought that will work well for mixing. Right now it keeps my water moving in my LR bin. :)

And I think I'll keep my lionfish shirt... I sadly hope they keep giving free shirts with their salt... lol... I pretty much only wear t-shirts and I need some more! :D

Brandon

Billybeau1
06/19/2007, 08:11 PM
:lol:

rachelcb80
06/19/2007, 08:21 PM
And I think I'll keep my lionfish shirt... I sadly hope they keep giving free shirts with their salt... lol... I pretty much only wear t-shirts and I need some more!

My last bucket of IO said "Free T-shirt inside". It took me back to when I was a kid and would eat cereal every morning anxiously awaiting when I could get to the prize. When I got far enough down with the salt I dug around and pulled the shirt out, only to find out it was an XL. Gave it to my husband. :P

NeveSSL
06/20/2007, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I was glad mine was an XL... just the right size! :D And it really is like getting a prize out of the cereal... one that you can wear!

Brandon

kh6sat
06/20/2007, 01:04 AM
I just pour it in the bucket. Just make sure you have a good lid to keep the moisture out.

NeveSSL
06/20/2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I don't think it does... and the salt bags are "zip lock" type bags, so I'll leave them be for now. I may do the pet food container thing, though. Wheels sound good. :D

Brandon

tkeracer619
06/20/2007, 01:29 AM
When I first started this hobby a local hobbiest who was breaking his tanks down asked if I wanted his left over IO salt, said there was enough for 20-30 gallons. Hey its a start.

Well, it had about 3 cups of salt and a beach towel in it. Score! :)

Nick A
06/20/2007, 02:35 AM
I keep mine in the bags since i don't really like to put the lid back on. I've gotten 2 shirts with angelfishes on them on my coralife buckets. How many types of shirts did they make? Kinda makes me want to try and get them all.

snulma1
06/20/2007, 08:59 AM
If the bags have ziploc seals on them, keep the salt in there. Plus that way, you can use the bucket as an extra water change or mix up bucket!

NeveSSL
06/20/2007, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10177420#post10177420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snulma1
If the bags have ziploc seals on them, keep the salt in there. Plus that way, you can use the bucket as an extra water change or mix up bucket!

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I absolutely hate getting that lid off of it, too.

I think it would be cool to get all of the t-shirts. Anyone know how many there are?

Brandon

seaskraP
06/20/2007, 11:16 AM
my bucket came with a frogfish shirt.