PDA

View Full Version : ChemiClean

PuebloReefer
06/18/2007, 10:25 PM
Does anyone have some I could buy off them? I only need enough for 20 gallons, I have a 15g an a 5g tank that need a cyano cleanup bad. I can't find any in Pueblo, so I was hoping that someone would have some I could buy off them at the meeting on Saturday... or if you're in Pueblo earlier.

The Haj
06/18/2007, 11:07 PM
Iwould definetly find out why you are having a cyano problem. chemiclean is a short time solution for a long term problem. Maybe if you give some specifics on your tank maybe all of us could narrow it down for you.

PuebloReefer
06/18/2007, 11:48 PM
I'm guessing it came from Pet Paradise. It really developed a few days after I got the clown and anemone from them. However, just in case I'm missing something... It's a 15g tank, with 2x32w pc lighting, hob filter that I just upgraded today to provide more flow, live rock but I'm not sure how much (plenty), 25lbs of live sand. Livestock is simple, a firefish, a brittle star, clown and nem, mushrooms, zoas, and palys.. not much variety, but I didn't want to have to move too much when the house is done and a new setup is in place. I've been mixing my water (like we have much choice here), either instant ocean or red sea. It's normally lit a good 12 hours a day. Like I said, I think I picked it up from Pet paradise, and the tank was on the low flow side of things so that didn't help. The flow is corrected; old filter was rated 20g, this one is rated 55g. So I think the real problems are solved, now it's just getting rid of the outbreak. BUT... if you have another idea, hit me with it.

ReefJerk
06/19/2007, 09:40 AM
I have some I can bring to the meeting. Make sure you remind me. I am kinda forgetful. :)

PuebloReefer
06/19/2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks ReefJerk! I'm surprised that in the time I've had saltwater tanks this is the first problem I've had with cyano. I guess I got taught my lesson about buying from certain LFS.

reefkoi
06/19/2007, 05:10 PM
What are you guessing what came from pet pardise? the cyano? If so I think it's usually low flow, high nutrients that cause it, I dont think you can "get it" from another tank, it just develops.
I agree nuking it is only a temporary solution and I'd really look into more flow first, then go from there.

racer69
06/19/2007, 05:19 PM
Chris, is right as usual.lol You can get a rock covered in cyano from a fish store and put it in your tank and with low nutrients and good flow, it will disappear. Now that being said, cyano can get a grip on a tank and you sometimes have to nuke it. I have done so in the past but not with chemiclean, just use Maracyn II, it is an antibiotic. There are several thread on rc about maracyn, just search for them and make your own conclussion.

racer69
06/19/2007, 05:23 PM
Also, manually remove what you have now by sucking it out and then direct some flow at that spot. It should keep it from returning to that spot. If it doesn't return there but does return somewhere else, then you do need more overall flow.

reefkoi
06/19/2007, 07:32 PM
Good call Todd, I forgot to add if it's in heavy sheets then those should be vacuumed off to speed up the process.

PuebloReefer
06/19/2007, 09:00 PM
Well the added flow ( I think I mentioned it before) seems to be breaking some of it up, just not getting rid of it. I believe it was a compound problem. I have admittedly not had enough flow in the 15g tank since setting it back up, however I wasn't having a problem until I added the last things from the lfs. I think I probably brought some home, and in the below par conditions it multiplied and snowballed. Now it's down to getting the break out down and gone, then it shouldn't happen again. I think I'll look into that Maracyn since chemiclean doesn't seem to be as popular here. In San Diego many people get cyano from the ocean water and its conditions, and cleaning it with ChemiClean was an appropriate solution.

reefkoi
06/19/2007, 10:33 PM
A 15 is going to be a challenge though, not much room for error with that small of a setup. Like you said you maybe were on the brink of cyano and the last few items maybe just pushed you over. You could cut the lights back a tad, I only run mine for 7-8 hours a day, and algae loves light so that should help some I'd think.
Chris

PuebloReefer
06/20/2007, 11:36 AM
I may try cutting the lights back, there is really no need for them to be on that long anyways. One other thing I need to do is replace my bulbs. They were used when I got them and I used them for a few months myself... and I think from what I've heard you get more of an algae build-up with older bulbs.

racer69
06/20/2007, 12:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10178365#post10178365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PuebloReefer
I may try cutting the lights back, there is really no need for them to be on that long anyways. One other thing I need to do is replace my bulbs. They were used when I got them and I used them for a few months myself... and I think from what I've heard you get more of an algae build-up with older bulbs.

That is correct. You can also keep them off for up to three days without hurting the livestock and it will really reduce the algae/cyano.

lfduty
06/20/2007, 12:52 PM
my light's are off for 4 day's out of the month with out hurting eney thing but the algae

PuebloReefer
06/20/2007, 10:46 PM
Hrm, now that's a new idea. I turn mine on everyday without fail. I may leave mine off for a few days.