PDA

View Full Version : Adtvs. & Suplmts. in NANO reefs

camocustom
06/15/2007, 08:43 AM
In larger reef tanks I have never been a fan of adding too many chemicals or suppliments, Just because it is not natural, i know that calcium and other minerals are used up and vit. and minerals are taken out my Protein skimming, can somebody compile a list of supplements that you use? and recommend which to use...I was thinking of using only the following, gonna have softies only in my nano....iodine, strontium, nano calcium/alk a+b, and trace minerals, and some phytoplankton later on....what do you think??? PLease respond.....

Lytehouse
06/15/2007, 08:53 AM
camocustom: As you can see from my registration date I'm very new with my first tank-- but, I've been given the same info from half a dozen different sources. For smaller tanks the all in one additives work well to keep balance of trace and keep water stable. I have used Kent's 'Nano Reef parts A & B' since day one and have had zero problems with water and haven't had the trials of some I read about here. Have a buddy locally doing the same thing with same results. Started adding phyto when stocking became heavier. Now it's packed (yep I'm the next one on the list saying it's time for a bigger tank== Can't expect me to quit buying) I've had to play with a couple things because calcium is being depleted.

Good question, I'll be riding along...

PSam
06/15/2007, 09:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10147116#post10147116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by camocustom
gonna have softies only in my nano....iodine, strontium, nano calcium/alk a+b, and trace minerals, and some phytoplankton later on....what do you think??? PLease respond.....

I wouldn't dose Io or Sr unless testing for them - especially true with the Io. Dose a 2 part and Mg, that should suffice, imo. ESV's 2 part has some trace elements (and so does your salt mix) so it's not necessary to add anything. Regular water changes + 2 part + Mg - all set.

camocustom
06/15/2007, 09:27 AM
Psam, I was going to be testing for str. and iodine as well.....just want to know what everybody uses personally

PSam
06/15/2007, 12:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10147342#post10147342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by camocustom
.....just want to know what everybody uses personally

In that case, on 25 gallon:

auto 2 part dosing (ESV B-ionic - original Mix)
auto top off w/ RO
Salifert or Kent Mg supplement as needed.

Jimbo327
06/15/2007, 12:24 PM
I actually dose Seachem Reef Plus and Salifert Amino Acid and Magnesium, I add a small squirt of each to my top off water when I fill it up.

Going to start dosing kalk soon.

camocustom
06/15/2007, 12:30 PM
I heard that dosing kalk can be dangerous if not exactly perfect, is that true, i never had used it

PSam
06/15/2007, 01:03 PM
If you add it too quickly you pH shoots up. I use a litermeter III for auto top off, but many slow drip it overnight when pH is low. What size tank anyway? If you aren't evaporating much, the effect of kalk on your tank will be minimal.

camocustom
06/15/2007, 02:34 PM
29 GALLON BIOCUBE. just started it last friday 6/8 so i have a little time.....

Ex-Reefer
06/17/2007, 07:12 AM
Camocustom: I have a 29 gallong biocube as well. It has been setup for about 9 months now. The only thing I add is Kent A&B everyday and then DT'S Phytoplankton about twice a week. Water changes every other week - only 5 gallons at a time. The tank remains extremely stable and everything seems happy. Heres a picture for fun...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/Ex-Reefer/Tank043007.jpg

uhuru
06/17/2007, 02:01 PM
kalkwasser and kent tech A&B, I'm going to pick up a Mg test kit today to see if I need to supplement that, though I've heard reef crystals has pretty good Mg levels and I do weekly WC's so we'll see...

cherubfish pair
06/17/2007, 05:58 PM
I'm trying to find info on HBH Balance Blocks. Emailed company several days ago and just emailed again just minutes ago. Saw them in fish store in Spokane, WA., but rarely get over there. Trying to find out where to get them online.

They're blocks to put in your sump that slowly release macro and micro trace elements. The number of blocks to put in depends on the volume of your system. In this way the elements are slowly released instead of dumped-in and 'overloaded' at first like the liquid additives. Also, liquids can spill and liquid dosing usually requires more than one container.

cherubfish pair
06/17/2007, 07:07 PM
. OK, I just found them on ebay. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/HBH-Balance-Blocks-Marine-Saltwater-pH-Calcium-15pk_W0QQitemZ180120448701QQcmdZViewItem

occb2
06/17/2007, 09:44 PM
Do not put that in your tank. It will make you protein skimmer go nuts.....

camocustom
06/18/2007, 08:04 AM
Tested the water yesterday SUNDAY 6/18...pH 8.2 NH3+4 .25ppm nitrite .2 nitrate less than 10 so far....

PSam
06/18/2007, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10160610#post10160610 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by the cattleman
. OK, I just found them on ebay. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/HBH-Balance-Blocks-Marine-Saltwater-pH-Calcium-15pk_W0QQitemZ180120448701QQcmdZViewItem

You couldn't pay me to put that in my tank lol.

Jimbo327
06/18/2007, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10163545#post10163545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PSam
You couldn't pay me to put that in my tank lol.

Hehe. Me neither.

camocustom
06/18/2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah, Im gonna have to pass on that one....HBH is a crap company anyway...

Mark426
06/18/2007, 06:37 PM
I have a soft coral (zoa, rics) only Nanocube thats been up for over a year. My coral growth is insane, I wish I could slow the growth someway. I started with small frags and now dont have space for even one small coral. Anyhow....

NO DOSING at all, only weekly water changes. I feel that unless you have large amounts of LPS/SPS, dosing is a waste or possibly bad for your system. When I started my nano I was under the impression that the whole beauty of nano tanks was that you only changed water. Skimmers, chemicals, reactors, dosing, etc are for larger tanks where frequent large water changes are nearly impossible. Its all about water changes in a nano.

IMHO... NO DOSING for a nano tank.

cherubfish pair
06/18/2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks Mark426, I've never really looked at it that way. I don't have the courage to try it, as I like what my skimmer is doing for me.

drummereef
06/19/2007, 12:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10147116#post10147116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by camocustom
In larger reef tanks I have never been a fan of adding too many chemicals or suppliments, Just because it is not natural, i know that calcium and other minerals are used up and vit. and minerals are taken out my Protein skimming, can somebody compile a list of supplements that you use? and recommend which to use...I was thinking of using only the following, gonna have softies only in my nano....iodine, strontium, nano calcium/alk a+b, and trace minerals, and some phytoplankton later on....what do you think??? PLease respond.....

Here you go. ;)

What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

camocustom
06/19/2007, 07:57 AM
I know thats what I said, but I was under the impression that is why these little tanks sometimes do so well, I've decided im sticking with the skimmer, and only gonna add Calc. & alk boost when needed(testing for them) and weekly 3 1/2 gallon w/c. Thanks all of you guys, for easing my mind!!!

Mark426
06/19/2007, 10:04 AM
That’s cool.... There is nothing wrong with having a skimmer at all, for my tank it is just something else I have to maintain. The main reason I don’t have one is, I would have to remove all the rock rubble from my rear chambers. Since I don’t have any nitrates (not detectable), I hate to fix it if it’s not broken. The way I feel, a skimmers function is to remove impurities before they can be processed into nitrates.

I will say again.... if bet that you will have alk/cal levels well within acceptable levels by keeping up with your water changes using a QUALITY salt mix. Remember...in a softie tank there is NO reason to have the elevated (>380) CA levels that is often run in SPS setups.

camocustom
06/19/2007, 10:08 AM
mark426, totally understood about calcium levels without sps..i still want that coraline to spread though...