PDA

View Full Version : Colorful Aussie Acan common in Australia?

Duce
06/14/2007, 08:13 AM
Just wondering, espically for those who lives in Australia, how common are those extremely colorful Aussie Acan we start seeing in North America....
If so, relatively speaking, how expensive are they compare to other LPS in Aussie LFS.
From some other posts I read...Duncan seems to be very common in LFS there...
I know the whole price thing is a driven by supply-demand and people willingness to pay...
But I am more curious as to why the Aussie Acan seems to be so much more colorful than some of the Indo ones I've seen....

Bcollins111900
06/14/2007, 09:23 AM
From what I have read, they are very common in Australia and they can buy a whole colony for $40-$60. IMO they are more colorful because the waters there were never allowed to be exported out of so the amazing colors could not be collected. Now exporting is aloud and it is easier to find the more intense colors comapaired to indo corals where the intense color ones are becoming harder to find due to harvesting of these corals for the hobby. This is all my opion but I would think that it is pretty close to being correct.

sfsuphysics
06/14/2007, 10:53 AM
Could also be a matter of no one wants to show pictures of all the brown ones they might have?

Duce
06/14/2007, 02:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10140977#post10140977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
Could also be a matter of no one wants to show pictures of all the brown ones they might have?

Ture to an extend....
I have seen Grade B Aussie Acans and they are nothing like the Grade A in terms of color pattern etc.
But have to say their pattern is somewhat different than the Indo Acans I have seen as well.

isjg
06/14/2007, 05:53 PM
You have to understand that the market here is very small, so stock may not move very fast. Also marine in general isn't as popular as FW. For that reason, and because the more popular corals seem to be the ones with longer tentacles ie catalaphyllias, euphyllias, anemones, duncans, goniapora etc, LFS and collectors are selective about what they get.
You don't see a lot of acros for example because they're just not very popular and don't tend to last too long under LFS condtions ie they recede or go brown. Likewise with Acans. We get them and the smaller colourful ones sell but we also get plainer ones that don't and sometimes they're just too big. There was one some months ago that was a beautiful red, orange with green tints for A$75. It sat in the LFS for agess because it was just too big at around 16" long by about 10" wide. Only a smaller number of keepers with a big enough tank would buy something like that. There's been a nice red one sitting in the local LFS for a few weeks, I assume that it's the size putting people off. Only A$55 but it's about 10" by 5". I'd buy it if I had the room.
Finally, when something nice does come in, it's usually only a few pieces at best (for the above reasons) and they go very quickly. You pretty much have to be there when they unbox to get them. This week I picked up a nice 2 head fluoro green anchor for A$45. The green ones are pretty rare here, like orange fungias. I picked up 2 fluoro orange fungias (one with bright green tentacles) for A$25 each a few months ago. When they can get them, the local LFS are now selling them for A$60. It's all about supply and demand.

paininthewrasse
06/14/2007, 07:12 PM
Weird, arent cleaner shrimp outrageously priced in australia as well?

hatfielj
06/14/2007, 08:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10144155#post10144155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paininthewrasse
Weird, arent cleaner shrimp outrageously priced in australia as well?
I heard the same thing from a friend and was wondering if it was true?

oceanarium
06/14/2007, 10:13 PM
Red lines are au$200, they are rare in ausy waters most come from a collector that travells 100's nm into the coral sea to find them. So their costs are quite high. Most other areas they are found close to the coast are inacessable or locked up in marine parks.

Acans are common only in certain areas of our coast. I here lower QLD coast is a hot spot they are quite common there.

I see dozens every day but most are varieties mainly green without any red at all.. Lucky to see one or two good ones and only in the better locations for them.

Because we only just recieved export approval for the Australian coral market collectors are going nuts looking for them now we will probably end up in the same boat as the rest of the world before long with them being hard to find. !!

Duce
06/15/2007, 07:39 AM
Since I've never lived in Australia but I think the difference between the Australia and some other coral exporting country is that the economy is more developed and stable. With that said I doubt the Australian government will allow "pillage" of the reef...

Serioussnaps
06/15/2007, 01:21 PM
So anyone wanna start a cleaner shrimp business with me on the side? Ill give em to em for 80 bucks...thats a steal!!!!!!!

oceanarium
06/16/2007, 12:10 AM
With that said I doubt the Australian government will allow "pillage" of the reef...

Our hobby grows so fast the government are always ten years behind the game. At this stage collectors in at least some states dont even have to report what species they are taking, so the government would not even know how much acan are being taken.

I collect in western australia the fisheries managers here have been caught with their pants down. Only just working out that the legislation is full of loop holes. despite the take of live rock being 100 times greater than it is suposed to be they cant get a single prosecution.:mad:

By the time that is sorted out they will just be working out all the Acans are gone.:eek1::lol:

Its a double edge sword though... while they are valuable its worth culturing them... reducing the need for corals to come from the wild.