PDA

View Full Version : Probably paranoid

rhythmicfire
06/13/2007, 02:35 AM
Hm, I may just be being paranoid about the colt coral again. Thanks for all your help with the other thread I had with the colt btw.
I just looked at my colt coral at night with a red flashlight, and I noticed a good number of the polyps are still open...yesterday they all closed after the lights went off...is there a reason they're open during the night this time?

TIA

Mr. Ugly
06/13/2007, 03:14 AM
A lot of corals will open polyps at night to feed. Normal also :)

rhythmicfire
06/13/2007, 09:23 AM
Ah, thank you for the information;
if I could bug you on one more topic
I was curious as to how often you wold feed phytoplankton (only a small dosage) to a colt coral, one fragged toadstool, one fragged GSP, one fragged pulsing xenia, frag of zoas, and frag of mushrooms?

thanks again Mr. Ugly

sfsuphysics
06/13/2007, 09:36 AM
IMO, I wouldn't feed those corals anything, usually the standard level of "dirtiness" associated with a tank is more than sufficient to supply all their hunger needs and then some. If you feed the tank phytoplankton you're most likely simply making your water even more dirty and not really benefiting the corals.

Now if you have zero fish, no sand, and the tank water is extremely pristine, then maybe, but IMO most tanks do not fall in this category, especially new reefers.

GreshamH
06/13/2007, 10:23 AM
With the live sand and live rock I'd feed some phyto to keep the infauna fed.

FWIW, Toadstools appear to benefit from both rotifers and phytoplankton.

delsol650
06/13/2007, 01:30 PM
Yup, I feed live cultured phyto as well... not too much though as you dont want to pollute your tank

rhythmicfire
06/13/2007, 01:32 PM
I was thinking sparse like 1/8 of teaspoon once a week