PDA

View Full Version : Temp in the valley - 100+

MrMikeB
06/12/2007, 03:12 PM
I was out of the area for awhile, but man - just looked at the weather. 100 degrees for the next week or so. Keep them tanks cool!

I will be ordering a couple chillers from some folks down south, if you have been on the fence and want to split some shipping costs I can send you the price list.

Helllloooooo Summer!!

petes97
06/12/2007, 03:24 PM
Just in time too. I luckily got mine both hooked up this last weekend. Remember you can get a 15% discount on your first order from Dr Foster and Smith, and they generally have good prices on chillers if your deal down south doesn't work out.

MrMikeB
06/12/2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the pointer - the Drs are great, just do not have the models in the price range I am looking for. Going after all drop in styles so that I do not need to play with a(nother) pump.

I came home to find many of my yuma rics melted away because my smaller 80 gallon got to 84! - I typically run my systems at 77.
I almost cried - spent in some cases over $80 a leaf for those lovelies. :(

petes97
06/12/2007, 03:44 PM
That bites, sorry to hear. I lucked out and found a nice 1/5 hp JBJ Arctica on CL last weekend for $350 (1 year old). My return pump was rated for the correct flow, so I just added the chiller inline.

Good luck with the purchase and keeping things cool.

matttaylor
06/12/2007, 06:00 PM
Just imagine what i went through today. I got home from a trip to home depot to find out that PG&E had shut my power off. They screwed up (not me) and now they want almost $1300 to turn it back on. So for the time being my pumps are running off af a power converter i have in my truck. Problem is, i'm almost out of gas. The rest of today is really going to suck because i won't have the money to turn it back on for a couple of days, if i don't pay rent (and get thrown out if i don't pay). Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

MrMikeB
06/12/2007, 06:21 PM
Matt, how are you on the internet? Dude.... you really need to look for some housing options for your livestock while you play with PGE. :(

matttaylor
06/12/2007, 06:33 PM
Luckily my laptop has really good reception and my isp is wireless! So it's just a matter of connecting to them. In the meantime i'll be trying the no lights for 3 days idea. HAHA And the beer is still cold.

funman1
06/12/2007, 07:20 PM
Holy cow!!
Dude you need to get a generator quick!!

matttaylor
06/12/2007, 08:06 PM
Anyone wanna lend me one?

mikid
06/13/2007, 10:13 PM
it happened to me a few months back,lucky i didint have a tank at the time,went to equipment rental and rented a generater for 40 a day,they will power up 20-30 amps,but you could only use one if you live in a home,due to the noise,but it does work,since then i fixed my power problem and wont have it again?:mad2: :mad:

funman1
06/13/2007, 11:08 PM
How's the tank doing?

matttaylor
06/14/2007, 12:19 AM
Powers back up, no losses, other than my sanity. Tank never went above 79. Luckily this house is well insulated. Even the beer survived, almost intact.

funman1
06/14/2007, 12:27 AM
hahah that's awesome to hear!!

dots
06/14/2007, 12:36 AM
The little Honda generators now I hear are very quite. When I used to remember when I drove a lumber truck and delivered to the job sites, the guys would have a piece of plywood in front of it deflecting the sound.

From what I here, at least on the smaller ones now, they are super quiet.

Fans and evaporative cooling is great, but when it comes down to it, chillers are a great piece of mind to keep the spendy stuff alive.

kevin95695
06/14/2007, 09:38 AM
Love my chiller. Hate power outages. Scared of my power bill. This will be the first month the chiller and house a.c. unit are dukin' it out.

Matt-- Glad to hear the tank and beer made it. Hope everything else works out OK too.

shiveley
06/14/2007, 10:18 AM
I got a Kipor Sinemaster 3000 generator, which is basically a Honda knock-off, to power my travel-trailer when camping. It's nice to know that I could also use it as an emergency back-up for my tanks if necessary. Oh, and yeah, they are pretty damn quiet...

matttaylor
06/14/2007, 11:43 AM
Having cool neighbors also helps. However in the event of a power outage i guess i'd be in trouble. Time to go get a battery powered airpump, and look into picking up a good generator.