PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral & Flow??

SeanySean
06/12/2007, 09:50 AM
At the moment my aquarium has a high rate of flow of around 50+ x p/h

Since Thursday I have noticed that the bubble coral is yet to open up fully, I have read that these corals can take a while to get used to the aquarium but this is the only coral that has not fully opened, I have a feeling that it is in an area that has too much flow for it even though it is shielded, so the question is, how little flow does this coral need, is it VERY slow? Params are fine, Lighting is good

Thanks,

Sean

coast2coast7390
06/12/2007, 10:56 AM
they dont need that much flow if any...try placing it in an area with little or no flow

onecrzyboi4u
06/12/2007, 10:57 AM
bubbles like low flow.. usually they will open 2-3 hrs after being released in a tank if everything is fine..

MiddletonMark
06/12/2007, 11:03 AM
They can become accustomed to higher flow - but placement [esp so that the flesh is not pulling on the skeleton/etc] is vital.

I've got a couple in my 58 - which also has 3000+ gph flow. [have had them in there for a few years now]

Take it slow, though - whenever changing it's location. I would aim for the slowest flow you can find + monitor for full expansion.

Good luck :)

seapug
06/12/2007, 11:07 AM
I've also found mine expands best in lower light. I've read they are able to regulate their photosynthesis rates by expanding and contracting the polyp bubbles. They expand largest in lower light levels so they can expose more surface area for photosynthesis. They are delicate, so low flow is definitely a good idea, too.

coast2coast7390
06/12/2007, 11:33 AM
i agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^
they do like lower levels of light

SeanySean
06/12/2007, 12:27 PM
ahhhhh, this hobby at times... i'll tell ya! I have been trying to get as little flow and as much light! ok try a new place time, poor little thing makes it easier to place now though!