PDA

View Full Version : moving my tank-suggestions please!

Audrey
06/10/2007, 09:39 AM
Folks-
I am going to move my tank from our old house in Cooksville to our new house in Piper City.

I will drain it and package the corals and fish. Sand and LR will go in tubs.

The question is-how should I move the empty tank? FYI-It is a 72 x 18 x 30 with 3/4" glass. So I think it weighs 300+ lbs.

Should I use an appliance cart? dolly cart?

It was delivered and walked in by 2 men. I want to avoid the risk of carrying it and possibly breaking it or hurting a person.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Audrey

syrinx
06/10/2007, 10:43 AM
Six foot tanks are hard to manipulate on a dolly. The safest way is for two strong guys to move. A dolly increases chances of tank damage dramatically.

medic29
06/10/2007, 10:44 AM
What is typically done is 2 to 4 people carry it. I don't think I've seen anyone try to use any carts like that. Personally, I would be afraid to unless I could put something around the tank to protect it really well....like a crate. I guess I'm used to the personal touch...that's how we moved all those really expensive pianos and such when I was younger. lol Now, those can cost some cash!

epon
06/10/2007, 10:50 AM
I bet David has a cantilever system or two laying around. :)

shilo_1
06/10/2007, 10:52 AM
I agree. I wouldn't risk putting a tank (especially a larger one) on a dolly.) If its a short move, ask people in the local club if they can help...if its a further distance, introduce yourself in the new club in the area you're moving to and see if anyone can help you get it out of your truck. More often that not, there are plenty of people who are very willing to help out ! :)
Good luck with the move !

UH_OH_5_OH
06/10/2007, 03:55 PM
(In my best Ahhhnold impersonation voice)

Ven do yu vant to mooove eeet ?

shilo_1
06/10/2007, 07:00 PM
lol....shouldn't that be something I should say...since he is our governator here in CA.... lol ;)

local44
06/10/2007, 08:30 PM
I agree on moving the old fashion way. if you need a hand I'm working in the area for a few weeks. let me know when and I can swing by after work (330-4ish) and do my part

have a nice one

Jack

lglamb
06/10/2007, 10:14 PM
I agree, when you get a time frame I'm sure you can
find some willing assistants.

Lowell