PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Is random flow beneficial or necessary for corals' health?

Scissorhand
06/10/2007, 12:27 AM
Hi guys...

While I was on a quest for an elusive used Tunze TS21 set-up, I ran across an interesting thread wherein a reefer claimed that studies have shown that corals (SPS in this case) grow faster with constant strong flow as opposed to random flow that the Tunze provide. Thus, the only advantage would be, and this is still a bit questionable, that random flow would eliminate more dead spot.

I'm interested to know what you think or know. Of course, one of the major selling points of wavemakers; whether it be Seio, Tunze or Red Sea and co., is that a wavemakers mimic the natural wave of the ocean, therefore it's better for the corals. Now, is that a fact or merely a gimmick to trick us into buying equipments that perhaps aren't necessary.

Or maybe I'm just thinking too much. God knows I want the controller just ... er because it's cool.

T Man
06/10/2007, 01:41 AM
A rolling stone collects no moss...........TinMan

Corriander
06/10/2007, 02:18 AM
Randomized flow is good for a system because it eliminates dead spots within the tank. This leads to a more consistent environment within a tank due to equalized temperatures and chemistry. It also prevents the build up of waste products within dead spots that often end up as little ammonia factories which upset that chemical balance.

Keep in mind, I said this is good for the SYSTEM, which in turn is benefical for the majority of organizms we strive to keep.

If the chemical/thermal factors were removed from a system and replaced with a controlled environment, I believe you would find that SPS growth would be facilitated by a constant uni-directional current that would permit linear growth.

For point of illustration, look at a tree. If grown in a place where light/water are pleantiful while winds are calm, they grow long and tall with narrow canopies. Where light is good, winds are calm but water is slightly scarce, they grow shorter with broad canopies so they can retain and absorb as much water as possible. When put in a harsh environment with whipping winds and changing light/water patterns, they grow slowly with gnarled branches.

Of course, if I were to hang a picture of a solitary tree on my wall, it would be the old gnarled one.