PDA

View Full Version : Large % water change opinions wanted

LizardKing
06/09/2007, 08:37 PM
I have a group of systems I am about to plump together to a basement sump to increase total volume, help controll temps, and allow for a very large fudge sump, full of macros to try and lower nitrates, run on a reverse cycle to help with ph swings.

I plan to tie the 3 systems together via the basement sump, but with a valve before the drop to the basement to take one or more systems off line at any time to run alone.

This would allow me to dump my 350-400 gallons of new pre mixed salt into what is / would be a 1750-1775 gallon combined system.

Now if I split up to only one system plus the basement sump, the numbers would be as follows

approx 800 gallons plus approx 150-175 gallon sump (depending on water level in a 300 gallon stock tank)= 950-975 gallons

approx 500 gallons plus approx 150-175 gallon sump = 650-675

approx 300 gallon plus approx 150-175 gallon sump = 450-475

So the water changes would amount to anywhere from about 45% to as much as a 95% total volume if only one system was changed.

The water in the systems seperate generally runs about 26-40 on nitrates, as it is a heavy traffic system with things in and out all the time (hands, ect, ect). As such I have done very large volume changes allready, as much as about 80% on a freshly cycled system that was running high and very very very lightly stocked (a couple leathers and live rock) and it seemed to do no major harm. Ive done many 30-50% changes on other heavily stocked systems and again it seemed to help far more then hurt.

My thought is this would allow me to off line two systems, do a hudge volume water change on just one system, then re connect it to the other two systems. I would imagine this would lower nitrates more then doing a 400 gallon change on a 1750+ gallon system.

Im sure I may get hammered for the numbers, I dont want to get more specific as I would like for this thread to not be pulled as all my others have. The nubers are run on a spectrometer, and for the most part the corals (yes sps included) are doing very well.

Calcium 350-440 (salifert, working to get it more steady) 240-360 hach (only once did it test that low, have since started kalk dosing
Nitrates 26-40 spectrometer
Phosphates 0.006 spectrometer (may add a phos reactor)
Ammonia, Nitrites all 0 spectrometer
Mag 1300-1500 salifert (after starting to mag dose) 650 hach (the same time the calcium was low, tested by friend one time, have since started to mag dose, always test normal)
Alk/Hardness 7-8.5 on salifert, trying to stabalize with baking soda dosing

I run different skimmers on each system, that would total 1100 gallons by euro reefs rating. However the skimmers are allready under volume according to euro reef, yet it still takes 2-5 days to fill the cup with penut butter skim, so I think they can still handle the combined job.

The system is approx 7 months old, and has only been on RO/DI for about 6-8 weeks (thats when the calcium drop happened, and steps taken to correct it). I hope thats enough, but not to much info. No pics, as they may get the thread pulled.

bertoni
06/09/2007, 09:21 PM
I would avoid large changes, since they might shock the systems. Since the animals are doing well, I don't see the need. Perhaps a few 30% changes, to help move out anything from the pre-RO-DI phase. The refugium should be able to the nitrate issue fairly rapidly.

paulfromero
06/10/2007, 07:49 PM
Hi,

I have (sorry about hijacking) 5x 5" tangs, 2x 5" angels, 1 x 5" trigger, and 8x 1.5" misc. I do about 10% water changes in a 300 gal + 50 gal sump every two weeks. However, my corals (LPS) slowly wither away, and my ammonia is detectable, along with the Phosphate and Nitrates.

I had assumed a larger tank = less % needed at a water change, but I still have coral losses. If someone has a % figure watr change that works for them, please chime in, as I'm looking to increase them, but by how much is a question.

Thanks,

Paul

LizardKing
06/10/2007, 08:01 PM
Id watch your fish closely, I have seen a hepatus and a yellow tang take a taste for corals and clams.

Back to mine, I appreicate the input, however I have to ask. Do you have any experience with large commercial systems? I didnt want to mention the commercial part, as Im not fishing for business, but I think it makes a big difference. I have over 100 new corals, and a decent load of fish added on a weekly to bi weekly basis. The system load is always shifting up and down.

Ive been told by friends that a retail situation will generally have higher nitrates 20-40, and not to worry. However I test the water from my suppliers, and they test at zeros.

The only real change Ive gotten in nitrates has been via large volume changes. However over the last couple of weeks I have held my nitrates around 26 without any water changes. Things look better then ever, and it all started after my last large volume change.

Im just curious if I will ever see a 0 nitrate test in a retail situation, or if I should be happy with my numbers. My customers seem to think the store is amazing, but I feel I should be doing better. Its hard for me to judge, as up untill 8 months ago or less I had zero fish experience of any type.

paulfromero
06/10/2007, 10:39 PM
Hi,

I think that if you do a huge water change, the inevitable coral stress (from what I'
ve heard) causes the water to gunk up. Other reefers use a carbon loaded cannister filter for this. I'd use some big cannisters on standby (say some Fluval FX5s) for use during and after the water changes.

Pablo