PDA

View Full Version : Question about Blue Tang

jellygeee
06/09/2007, 01:54 PM
I just got a Blue Tang in my tank 2 days ago.
The moment I let the fish into the tank, it swam into a hole section of a live rock, a place where my fire shrimp has been establishing its territory.

2 days later, my fire shrimp died.

Do you think the Blue Tang has anything to do with it? :confused:

Info about my tank:
I run a 50 gallon tank with about 45 #s of live rock. The tank has been going on for about 2 months now. I have 10 nacarrius snails, 5 astrea snails, 5 turbo snails, 4 hermit crabs, and a small colony of zoo. I also added a clown fish 5 days ago. It came from the same owner that I got the Blue Tang from so they are both doing fine living together.

nasotang
06/09/2007, 02:15 PM
Did you add the water from the fish store that the fish came in? Some stores use copper to treat for parasites and infections on fish. Inverts can't tolerate copper and will die from even small amounts.

jellygeee
06/09/2007, 04:29 PM
No, I didn't add the water from the seller. I slowly acclimate the fish, and slowly add my tank's water in the bag of the Blue Tang. Then I just scoop the fish and put it in tank.

nasotang
06/09/2007, 06:59 PM
Blue tangs are omnivores so it's possible that he ate your shrimp, but I don't think it's common for blue tangs. Did you check to make sure that the shirmp didn't just molt his outer shell?

What are your water parameters? Ammonia?

jellygeee
06/09/2007, 08:59 PM
No, the fire shrimp changed to a new shell 5 days ago.
All I know was the body of the fire shrimp lied on the sand, being cleaned up by nacarrius snails and hermit crabs. But I also noticed the Blue Tang pecking on it.

Forgot to mention that I also have 2 skunk cleaner shrimps and they both seem to be fine (knock on wood).

Just check the water condition. The Amonia level is zero, Nitrite is zero and water PH is about 8.2 - 8.4

TeeLapia
06/09/2007, 11:40 PM
Blue tangs are actually very agressive in the Tang family. They create their territory in crevices of rocks, therefore when he got in. He bullied your shrimp to death. He must have enjoyed that spot to sleep in, and the only thing that got in his way was your shrimp.