PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a 30 gallon FOWLR

giants4pc
06/06/2007, 08:51 PM
I currently have a 90 gallon stocked mixed reef with many fish and a 75 gallon sump. Lately, I've been very interested in the FOWLR tanks and the fish with true personalities. Naturally, I would love to set up a large tank as well. However, I will limit myself to the 30. Everything will hang on the back as well...no sump. What is possible with such a small tank? I definitely want a dwarf lion. What else is very cool since I can only get 2 or 3? want aggressive fish. Will any triggers be comfortable in there?

pinkie
06/06/2007, 09:00 PM
Triggers are much too large for a 30 gallon tank. Even a dwarf lion is a bit too large IMO.

I would suggest looking into fish that are reated for Nano Cubes. A good listing of fish for that are listed on the Liveaquaria site.

giants4pc
06/06/2007, 09:32 PM
I want aggressive fish though. I've been in the hobby long enough to not make stupid decisions and make the inhabitants miserable. But, I'm fairly certain with the right choices, and the fact that my care level in the hobby is fantastic, I can certainly keep a couple.

pinkie
06/06/2007, 09:45 PM
My advice would be Damsels. They are small and aggressive. Most other aggressive species I can think of will be much too large. Triggers for example should be in tanks at least three times that size, and Triggers should really not be kept with Lionfish. They will pick at their fins and tend to kill them.

Juggler
06/06/2007, 10:36 PM
i really advise you to consider at least a 55.
But you "could" keep a snowflake moray alone maybe.

jft
06/07/2007, 07:10 AM
Blue spot puffer... one of the more aggressive dwarf puffers and have great personality. I think it would be alright in a 30g if there was enough swimming space and live rock to nibble on

jrobison
06/07/2007, 11:41 AM
small puffers or a tiny humu trigger would be ok for a while I think, most triggers grow pretty slow IME.

LionfishFinatic
06/07/2007, 04:34 PM
really can't do much with a 30 gallon tank. much to small in my opinion. if you want do to a FOWLR why not get a larger tank then that?? i would go with the largest tank you can afford....

pinkie
06/07/2007, 06:35 PM
I agree, bigger is typically better. Yes, it will be more expensive, yet the cost difference between a 30 and even a 55 really isn't going to be that much. In addition, it is a lot less work to maintain a bigger tank IMO.

giants4pc
06/13/2007, 11:18 AM
So if I do set up a 55 with a Fluval for filtration, a UV sterilizer for algae/parasite control, and a skimmer, I was thinking:

Dwarf Lion
SF eel

I want some color and something different that you don't see everyday. I have a 90 reef with the usual reef-safe fish. I want some personality. I know a 55 is limiting, but I religiously change the water once a week and practice great maintenance requirements. I know I can get more than just the two mentioned above. I also have really committed 100% to the Eel since they have a tendancy to escape. If my wife finds a stiff eel on the floor, she won't be too happy.

giants4pc
06/13/2007, 11:19 AM
whoops...I have NOT committed 100% to the eel.

DamnPepShrimp
06/13/2007, 12:28 PM
You could also add a flame angel, that would give you some nice color and personality. If you wanted to stick with a smaller tank, you could do an angler.

giants4pc
06/13/2007, 03:31 PM
I guess one of the smaller "larger" angels would be out of the question?

pinkie
06/13/2007, 04:02 PM
It is pushing it. Some of it is going to depend on the specific angel's personality, and if he will tolerate a smaller tank. A Blue Girdled for example might be okay for a 90 gallon, but again, it is close. If you do decide to get one though, get it as small as possible, so it hopefully won't grow extremely large, and it will be more comfortable with the tank as it grows.

DamnPepShrimp
06/13/2007, 08:34 PM
No large angel will be good in a 55g, especially when older. Only pygmy angels.