PDA

View Full Version : Odyssea PS160 Protein Skimmer

cockfield
06/03/2007, 11:47 PM
I've heard really great things about them from many people I know, and my LFS.

Any thoughts on this skimmer? Personal Experiences?
I'm really considering to place an order for it.

Thanks

shouldabenacowboy
06/04/2007, 02:12 AM
Here ya go....

Before the split:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1048116&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

After the split:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1126043

SBC

luke33
06/04/2007, 06:53 AM
I just got one a week ago or so. For the price there great. Is it an awesome skimmer? Time will tell. I've modded the pump a bit and the venturi and it really seems to be working well now. I wouldn't suggest it as a hot, but for in sump it seems like its going to work pretty good.

mavgi
06/04/2007, 09:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10073067#post10073067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
I just got one a week ago or so. For the price there great. Is it an awesome skimmer? Time will tell. I've modded the pump a bit and the venturi and it really seems to be working well now. I wouldn't suggest it as a hot, but for in sump it seems like its going to work pretty good.

yes IMO this skimmer are good to especially for the price (i have the old design) .

one important things about the Jebo pump they are not just hot and in my i notice that the pump have some current in the water and i drop it away ... i know that Jebo work to improve some electric issue with the product but i suggest to watch the pump :)

cockfield
06/04/2007, 12:00 PM
Well thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all this.

Buuut, I DID intend to use this as an HOB skimmer, and i've already ordered one....

Tell me about these mods and what I should to as precautionary measures to keep it as a HOB.

Thanks Again!

Reefer_Addickt
06/04/2007, 12:04 PM
I ordered it based off that thread also, I will be using it as a HOB too. I believe from reading that thread that Chev had tested it as a HOB and said it worked well, and that no mods were needed for smaller tank use e.g. you and me 50 gal folks.

I was planning on testing it for awhile with out the mods, then if need be install the mods.

luke33
06/04/2007, 12:07 PM
Cockfield, i run mine in my sump, you can check out the last page of the woot NW odyssea skimmer thread. Basically add two layers of mesh on your NW pump you get and take the bulkhead you get and drill a hole in it large enough for a 1/4" air injector tube fitting piece you can get at lowe's. Then add the tube. It'll cost about a buck or two for the DIY parts. And make a world of difference as far as performance goes. As for hot running, i personally wouldn't use this as a hot because it will overflow on to your floor...........alot imo. If i were running mine that way, i would be a very very PO'd guy right now as its overflowed a ton.

cockfield
06/04/2007, 12:19 PM
Ha, looks like i'm in a pickle.

I could MAYBE move my pump out of the sump and drill it to be a inline,
It's a Mag- 7, would that work?

luke33
06/04/2007, 12:29 PM
Cockfield, you have a sump? Do you just not have any room in there? I'm not sure what your talking about with teh mag 7 and inline.

cockfield
06/04/2007, 01:06 PM
Yes I have a sump. But it is just realllly small.

And right now I have the Mag7 as the pump, using it as a submersible.

I was thinking about just moving it out of there and hard plumbing it, by drilling the sump.

luke33
06/04/2007, 01:10 PM
That would work well, thats what i would suggest, and you wouldn't have to see the sore thumb in the tank ; )

kodyboy
06/04/2007, 01:19 PM
I would not use it as an HOB either, it is too likely to overflow. Cram it into your sump somehow and it will work well.

Reefer_Addickt
06/04/2007, 01:21 PM
damn, I have no sump...so I have to use as HOB. Is there anything I can do to minimalize the overflow? does it only usually happen after cleaning out the collection cup? Or will I have to keep a bucket behind the tank..

luke33
06/04/2007, 01:35 PM
I would keep a bucket under it imo. I've only had it over a week and i'm guessing its overflowed 7x's by now. It gets finicky when feeding or just for the heck of it, but has calmed down alot in the last few days. I'd say its going to calm down for good here soon, i think its just a new thing. But for a hot, i would keep a bucket under it and turn it off when i fed for about an hour, then plug it back in. Or if you dose your tank with anything as well.