PDA

View Full Version : my tang has some sort of flat worm on it.

sammoorefield
06/02/2007, 12:36 PM
I think 3 total are residing on my tang. One on the upper fin and 2 on the body. They look grey in color and appear to be feeding off the fish. I looked in the disease forum but found nothing about this type of parasite. Its irritating the fish too, it is twitching trying to shake it off.

Anything i can do to remedy it w/out removing it from the tank? Its in a reef tank.

will a cleaner wrasse take care of it?

nava405
06/02/2007, 01:06 PM
how big is the flat worm things ?

i think fresh water dip should work really good, i seem a LFS done it, and only took 1 min for all the grey spot came off the body

sammoorefield
06/02/2007, 01:13 PM
I will do that. I actually just caught the fish using my lights out method. I think I read 5 min fw dip is what is recommended? Or should i just do a ultra low salinity dip?

mangus7175
06/02/2007, 01:22 PM
Dipping will help if it is flatworms but I would imagine you might need some baking soda added in the freshwater to raise pH. Am I right?

slavearm
06/02/2007, 01:29 PM
Make sure the PH is at least close, and that the water temp is the same before dipping the fish.

sammoorefield
06/02/2007, 01:35 PM
Ok, I did a 5 min fw dip. The fish had a lot more parasites than what I could see originally. They all simply fell off the fish. I placed the fish in a bucket of tank water with a couple of drops of that stress coat stuff. I think in 20 min or so it should be ready to go back into the tank.

sammoorefield
06/12/2007, 08:55 PM
update

The FW dip worked like a charm! I have one happy fish again :)