PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Question

Reefer Wannabe
05/27/2007, 12:55 PM
One of my CoralVue halide ballasts stopped firing yesterday (the bulb would come on for a minute or so, then I'd hear a pop, and it would go out). Today, it would just flicker for a second, then go off. I noticed the ballast is running MUCH hotter then the one that is working.

I know next to nothing about electricity/wiring. Is there something I can check for to see what's causing this? (I do know enough to unplug a ballast that's running very hot.) This ballast is only about 1 1/2 years old or so, but unfortunately, I don't have any of the warranty info. (I bought it used).

geoxman
05/27/2007, 04:22 PM
if you cant get to work I have an electronic icecap ballast FS. I would leave it off if it is running hot. good luck

Reefer Wannabe
05/27/2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks Phil, but if I buy a new one, I think I'm upgrading to a 250 (assuming it won't look too weird to have one 175 and one 250). Can't afford to upgrade them both at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas to see what's causing this? I opened it up--nothing looks out of the ordinary.

fade32
05/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Try to switch the bulbs and see what happings could be a bad bulb.

Reefer Wannabe
05/27/2007, 09:03 PM
Tried that--same thing, a small flicker, then off. It (the ballast) is also making a buzzing sound.

The last time I tried it (with different bulb), it did absolutely nothing. Before that, I tried it and no buzzing sound until I wiggled a wire, then it buzzed, the light flickered and went out and the buzzing continued. The connections all looked good.