PDA

View Full Version : what type of silicon for a pvc bottom

thesaent14
05/25/2007, 11:08 PM
what type of silicon can use for a pvc bottom tank i want to diy a 84x36x30 tank and i am looking to make it with the pvc bottom

have any one seeing a diy with a pvc bottom please show me a link or some pictures so i can get and idea

thanks

hahnmeister
05/26/2007, 01:41 AM
Silicone is not used for PVC, it wont stick. There is a special glue for this, but what are you trying to stick it to, glass or acrylic?

snappedbigfoot
05/26/2007, 02:52 AM
blue glue is the only thing i think that would work

dobly_1999
05/26/2007, 07:41 AM
http://supergluepds.com/Docs/Clear%20Glass%20Adhesive%20-%20GR%20-%20Sales%20Sheet%20-%20Rev%202%20-%202007.doc

Acrylics
05/26/2007, 08:47 AM
So you are going to make it, eh? :)
The best silicone that I know of for plastics is Dow Corning 795. It's a neutral cure so takes a week or two to fully cure but sticks to plastic better than any silicone that I've seen. Cost about $8/tube and only comes in colors, black and white are the most common. Completely reef safe, I've used it for many yrs and public aquariums use it frequently as a pressure gasket, pretty similar to what you are doing.

HTH,
James

hahnmeister
05/26/2007, 01:34 PM
Well, if its PVC to Acrylic, Weldon 16 is made for that.

Acrylics
05/26/2007, 04:05 PM
First, 16 is not made for that :) It works for small parts but I wouldn't trust it for a tank's structural integrity.
He's trying to silicone PVC to glass for a PVC bottomed glass tank.

James

sfsuphysics
05/26/2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks James, I asked a very similar question a few days ago because I'm trying to figure out how those tanks with PVC bottoms are made, everything mentioned was physical (i.e. routing a groove in the pvc, etc) no mention of what to use for glue, and you hit a home run yet again :)

Btw would you apply that adhesive (glass to pvc version) like a silicone? ie run a bead then run your finger along it, or would you use it more like a glue and just rest the glass ontop of the bead?

hahnmeister
05/27/2007, 12:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10020504#post10020504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acrylics
First, 16 is not made for that :) It works for small parts but I wouldn't trust it for a tank's structural integrity.
He's trying to silicone PVC to glass for a PVC bottomed glass tank.

James

Sure it is. Check the IPS data sheets, they list Rigid PVC to Cast Acrylic, and the correct adhesives are 40/42, 16, and 4052. At that, I have found 16 to be an excellent adhesive for this, even at water pressures up to 6' deep.

Here:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-92284169562666_1947_5037246

As for glass to PVC, thats a different glue all together. Klaus from Royal Exclusiv has something for this... forget what it is, but its like a caulk that has to be heated and applied in two parts to bond properly... not a DIY thing.

thesaent14
05/27/2007, 01:11 AM
so is it posible or not i will try to make me one lol

Acrylics
05/27/2007, 08:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10020676#post10020676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
Btw would you apply that adhesive (glass to pvc version) like a silicone? ie run a bead then run your finger along it, or would you use it more like a glue and just rest the glass ontop of the bead? I'd do both. If you have a step, run a heavy bead along the "lower" piece leaving a 1/4" gap between the glass and PVC "upper piece", then fill that gap. A fairly tight fitting outer ring would be beneficial IMO, or just use a pc of 2" PVC sheet and dado the grooves in it.

Hahn,
So you've built this type of tank and 6' high using acrylic rather than glass and glued it using 16? Or just used it to stick PVC to acrylic for a skimmer/reactor? 2 entirely different things. There's nothing in 16 that attacks PVC well, by making that statement, you're assuming that the primary active (MC) attacks or sticks to PVC well enough to hold on a 7' span with 450 gallons of water. Not an assumption I'm willing to make :)
There may be something someone makes for this purpose, dunno. Just knowing the properties of 795 makes me think it's the best silicone candidate that I know of.

thesaent14,
Of course it's possible. I'd make a coupla smaller practice tanks first though just to be sure. A 450 gallon "experiment" is not the wisest idea IMO. I'm still somewhat baffled by the need, but that's a different story. The only two upshots of this that I can think of are 1) easier to drill holes in PVC and 2) impact resistance for the bottom. Drilling holes in glass is relatively easy and just place a sheet of 1/8" or 1/4" pvc on the bottom of a glass tank, but that's JMO :)

James

hahnmeister
05/27/2007, 11:06 AM
I used it to make a square body skimmer, sticking the bottom to the four acrylic sides.

thesaent14
05/30/2007, 12:53 AM
what you guys think about this

http://www.technologylk.com/product_view.aspx?product_ID=7823

no this is whats going to happen i will make the tank i am gating price on the glass tomorrow i have the price of the PVC bottom i have the new sump on the making to BTW i will be building everything by my self will show pics but i need some help on get the glue stuff together i will make a grove on a 1" PVC the grove will be 1/2" deep so is just to decide witch silicon i will use so help me guys

thanks

Manny

Gilprado
05/30/2007, 01:28 AM
check this

http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/LT2197_OEM_Plastic_Bonding_Guide.pdf

BTW where did you get the PVC bottom

hahnmeister
05/30/2007, 01:40 AM
I know who you could check with... Sea Schor of Chicago... they will be at IMAC too. The owner has a custom tank mfg that does the bottoms from PVC, the walls from glass, and a top flange from acrylic. Im sure he could hook you up with the right info.

thesaent14
05/30/2007, 03:19 AM
bottoms from PVC, the walls from glass, and a top flange from acrylic wow that is the same way am planing to doit i think it will worck way beter

thesaent14
05/30/2007, 03:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10041381#post10041381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gilprado
check this

gilberto i am geting my pvc bottom at a local spplyer here in florida

hllywd
05/30/2007, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10041381#post10041381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gilprado
check this

Don't have time to look through that right now but it seems like an adhesive manufacturer would be the place to start. Explain what's needed to the CSR and get a recommendation if it's not explicit in Loctite's documentation. I like the PVC bottom idea but before I went too far I'd want to know if there is a commercially available product for the job. You need something that will hold the two materials together not just a seal, for example, try pulling two siliconed pieces of glass apart. The glass to PVC or PVC to acrylic adhesion should be similar or stronger or eventually the H2O will find it's way...

Tim