PDA

View Full Version : Green Serpent Star Help needed!

stealth
12/16/2000, 04:30 PM
Hello All,

I have a Green Serpent Star that I have a bad feeling about. Its body is about the size of a quarter and leg 3 inches long. I have lost a very small lawnmower bennie, sally light foot, and one large Peppermint shrimp over the last 2 months. I was at a LFS and buying some Red serpent stars and mentioned I have a green one. He said that these are not fish/invert safe and will eat/kill anything it can get it tentacles on :). What d you guys think? The LFS will not sell greens to anyone unless it is a FOWLR tank with big fish long than 5".

What do you think??

Hartman

dennisV
12/16/2000, 04:39 PM
the green ones are known to be aggressive ones

stealth
12/16/2000, 04:51 PM
Should I take it out? will it go after the fish/inverts/red stars if I hand feed it?

Thanks
Hartman

GOOD (G)REEF
12/16/2000, 05:00 PM
Yeah take it out. It will eat your fish and inverts no matter how well you feed it IMO. I have heard of many people having problems with these, si I think you'd be better off cutting your losses and seeling it to your LFS. HTH!

melig
12/16/2000, 06:02 PM
You've all got me worried now. I too have a green brittle star a little larger than a quarter, (now that I've been feeding him well) Several of the books say they're OK and so did the LFS (big surprise) but I've read several post on this board and others that make me nervous. I haven't lost anything yet, but wonder if it's just a matter of time. If it happens I'm going to be mad :mad2:

Ironreef
12/16/2000, 06:27 PM
any large separpant can do harm but the greens just can be alot hungrier when BIG

petpoor
12/16/2000, 06:59 PM
I also have one except he is the size of a silver dollar with 6 inch legs at first my green chromis kept disappearing so I was told to feed it a large chunk of shrimp EVERYday and so far no more losses. If one more comes up missing out he goes!

grif
12/16/2000, 09:16 PM
Green serpents bad? Huh, I have had one for about 6 weeks and can't get him to eat at all. The thing keeps digging holes and hiding in them. Somebody told me they were nocturnal, but I never see him even at night. I'll have to watch out I guess.