kmax74
05/23/2007, 10:36 AM
I HAVE TWO 400 HQI AND WAS WONDERING WHICH LPS WOULD BE GOOD

Hypertek99
05/23/2007, 10:56 AM
Micros and Acans can handle a lot of light

cristhiam
05/23/2007, 11:09 AM
I burned my acans with 540W of NO/VHO lights by putting them on the top, I have them on the bottom now and fully recovered. Just look close to your additions and start them from the bottom, don't blast them with 400W of MH :) right out the bag. JMO.

Hypertek99
05/23/2007, 11:12 AM
I guess it depends on what kind of lighting it came from before all my Micros and Acans are blasted by 250MH in a 29 Gal tank. I have the more colorful ones on the bottom and the less colorful ones on the top to color up. Been doing great with no bleaching or burns.

RandyO
05/23/2007, 11:46 AM
In my experience, the larger the polyp/mouth, the less light it usually likes. If it inflates to a large size, it probably likes lower light. The smaller polyped, harder pieces like Favia, Favites, Cyphastrea, Platygyra, Turbinaria, Mycedium, and Hydnophoras can be placed higher in the aquarium with more flow.

Pieces like Scolymia, Cynarina, Trachyphyllia, Fungia, and other large single mouth corals should be placed on the bottom.

Corals that fall somewhere in between are Lobophyllia, Symphyllia, Euphyllia, Caulastrea, Echinophyllia, Acanthastrea, Micromussa, Cataphyllia.

I don't know where to place Blastomussa in that scale. I have a Merletti getting direct 400w 10K MH lighting and some Wellsi's getting medium to weak 175w MH lighting.

Most corals can be kept under a large range of lighting. The most important thing not to do is subject them to too much light. Way more damage can be done in one day under too much light vs weeks or months under too little light, IMO.

I would be careful with your 400's. Even on the bottom of my 24'' tank, my Scolymias slowly bleached from my lighting. Once they were placed under 175's, they made a full recovery. Sometimes it can be difficult to keep high light SPS in the same tank as low light LPS. You have to be a little creative, and make shaded areas or Caves.