PDA

View Full Version : fungia is not opening

Arturo
05/20/2007, 01:36 AM
recently i bought a plate coral but it is not opening, it did opened before when I recently bought it. I noticed it has a small hole of about half inch in the bottom and it produces slime.

the coral is in the sandbed and it doesnt move at all... Is it getting sick, shall I treat it with something?

Arturo
05/20/2007, 02:01 AM
parameters are calcium 400ppm, ph 8.0, dens1.022, temp under 78. have mh 150 watts and compact pcs 4 x 65 watts daylight and actinics... 0% of nitrite, ammonia or nitrate...

graveyardworm
05/20/2007, 04:13 PM
Is it a long or short tentacle plate?

Amador
05/22/2007, 06:44 PM
How is your fungia doing?

Arturo
05/25/2007, 11:33 PM
Hi

It is a short tentacle by the way, i decided to put it above a little plate, so it didnt touch the substrate. Now the abrasion is getting smaller. The plate is also open again although not as in the beggining when i bought it...

Der_Iron_Chef
05/26/2007, 10:53 AM
I think the substrate may have been irritating/smothering the coral's tissue. Contrary to popular belief, fungia don't actually belong on a substrate like that. Well, if you believe Eric Borneman, that is:

"In general, those fungiids with sharp septal spines and flat morphology are less able to rid themselves of sediment. These species are common to rocky or rubble bottoms rather than soft substrates and are readily available in the aquarium trade. As such, the customary tendency to place fungiids on a soft sandy bottom exposed to significant sedimentation may be problematic." [<i>Aquarium Corals</i> by Eric Borneman]

Good luck! Hope it continues to improve. I would dose regularly with iodine just to help it along.