PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium

shibumi
05/17/2007, 11:30 PM
I tested my magnesium and it is 1175
I think, I should raise it to 1260. My calcium and alkalinity levels are like crazy sometimes too low both some times only calcium some others the alkalinity.

I was going to use Epsom salt. I used the tool in this web page:
http://reef.diesyst.com/

Reef Chemistry Calculator FV

But I want to do more research about it before I do it.

The site says it will require 285grams. How much is that in cups?
Has anyone done this?
is it safe?
Should I use a liquid supplement like Seachem or Kent additives?

How much is too low of magnesium?

Please help thanks. :confused:

jsl6v8
05/17/2007, 11:35 PM
I didn't test my mag for months on my tanks including a softie reef and when I finally did I was around 1100. Mag is really more important for SPS and clams and LPS. So if you have them its kinda important I dose ESV magnesium dosing and i like it, I think mag should be like 1300-1450 something in that range. But if you have softies or fish only, imo here, then mag isn't important at all.

SoundsFishy2me2
05/18/2007, 12:28 AM
"target" 1250-1350 acording to Randy Holms Farley in his "Reef Alchemy" article. There's also some good information above and below the following link that seems to help answer the question on the how to DIY. I've had it lower and seen swings in ALk. I've also had mag higher in another tank (upto 1670's) and didn't have a problem but brought it down over time with water changes, that tank is now 1400's. Besides corals, coralline algae uses mag. and if the mag is off the alk can drop off and the fish can respond to that too.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php#12

Just take it slow with all aditives, you can always add more later, you should be ok.

MikeBrke
05/18/2007, 12:38 AM
I use epsom salt for magnesium supplementation. It works great. If you go to the chemistry forum, they have a sticky (at the top) thread which has a link to a site that tells you how much to dose.

mflamb
05/18/2007, 07:09 AM
Monica,
Joe (poknsnok), Jason (DaddyJax), Greg (Ah64av8tor), Carol (ReefArtist), Chris (checkinhawk), Ben (benf), and others use the Randy's Two Part Ingredients for Ca/Alk/Mag maintenance. I would contact them for detailed info on how to get your numbers EXACTLY where you need them. These folks seem to have that system down to an art.

Ah64av8tor
05/18/2007, 07:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9967400#post9967400 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mflamb
Monica,
Joe (poknsnok), Jason (DaddyJax), Greg (Ah64av8tor), Carol (ReefArtist), Chris (checkinhawk), Ben (benf), and others use the Randy's Two Part Ingredients for Ca/Alk/Mag maintenance. I would contact them for detailed info on how to get your numbers EXACTLY where you need them. These folks seem to have that system down to an art.

Monica,

I use the calculator and Randy's Ca, Alk and Mag suplements. It is just to easy to measure out and add.

If you use the dry ingredients you will need a scale for every dose if you mix them up per Rand's recipe you just add a few ml a day of the 2 part and a few ml of the Mg a month. REAL EASY!!

If you by a commercial supplement it will cost you an arm and a leg for the same thing. The chemicals are old school, (What I was using before I even heard of Kent turbo CA) and the calculator makes it so much better,

Acolin
05/18/2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks! Great link

The club had a discussion on this recently, sorry I missed it, even my softies absorb calcium and magnesium

The calculator gives answers in ounces

So does Google (“285 grams =”):

10 ozs 2 1/3 cups + 2 tsp 285 grams

http://www.beryls.com/weighref.htm

water changes also replenish calcium and magnesium, buffering alkalinity and pH, so it depends on how often and much water you change and how much hard corals you have (topic and lesson for meeting, Mr. Education?)

much of what is sold in the aquarium industry is available in more natural form and far less expense that commercial products

I use Tropic Marin and Boyd (excellent reputation), which I think I won for free in raffle. The Boyd is a much softer, easy to mix powder, so it hardly seems like the same. I want to get some of Randy’s 2-part, though I do not need a lot.

I don’t have a sump. I mix in a pinch to my top-off water which goes into the outside filters and directly into the tank. Been doing it for years for my softies without adverse effect.

Even if the kit is a reliable one, you may still want to strive to be in the center of the range to make it less likely that you are actually outside of it and only appear to be inside of it due to uncertainties in the measurement. This issue is especially important at the low end of the ranges, and not so important at the high ends.

Lots of other issues are equally important: waste extraction, etc.

Ah64av8tor
05/18/2007, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9967915#post9967915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acolin
The calculator gives answers in ounces

So does Google (�285 grams =�):

10 ozs 2 1/3 cups + 2 tsp 285 grams

This is true for water, but dry measurements don't work out that way 2 1/3 cups + 2 tsp of lead dont come out to 10 ozs or 285 grams, and the void spaces in between the grains trows it off more.

shibumi
05/18/2007, 12:23 PM
Exactly that is my problem liquids vs solid measurements are not the same.

And Randy says the epson salt is the least recommended:

'Using Epsom salts. This recipe is the least preferred but can be acceptable if used for small amounts of supplementation, or if combined with at least 30% water changes per month. "
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php#15

He also says:

" Epsom salts (USP grade magnesium sulfate heptahydrate) is readily available in drug stores and is fairly inexpensive. The problem is that if this were used to raise magnesium by a large amount (or a small amount several times) the aquarium water would become enriched in sulfate. This enrichment may not be a problem for some aquaria, especially those using salt mixes already deficient in sulfate, or those that employ frequent water changes. Nevertheless, Epsom salts alone is not an ideal magnesium supplement."

from the same article.

Ah64av8tor
05/18/2007, 01:04 PM
It has worked for years, and like he said it is not a problem with water changes. How much are you going to use 1 cup every few months?

IMHO it is not going to hurt a thing.

Even if you use the other recipe with Dead Sea Mag Chloride you still use Epsonsalts only less. and now he does not recommend the Mag Flakes.

You can pay $15 for a pint of some name brand that has done the same thing that you can do for $1.50 a gallon if that makes you feel better.

mflamb
05/18/2007, 02:00 PM
I knew one of you techno-guru-reef chemistry types could handle this.

Acolin
05/19/2007, 09:14 AM
so how much is it then in ounces?