PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Island Rock Question

Hemmie
09/06/2002, 02:20 PM
I bought 10 lbs of Marshall Island Rock (cured) but had it sent UPS 2nd day to save $$.

The rock smells fine, I now have it in a rubbermaid container with a PH on it, but I smelled each piece as I unwrapped it...nothing rancid or rotten smelling and a few worms popped out to look at me.:D

It's not real impressive from what I could see, (coralline wise) but I actually couldnt see too much. I may have killed off the Coralline by having it shipped 2 day?

Anyways...2 questions....should I do a freshwater dip before putting it in my main tank in case theres any flatworms or other nasties? Would this kill whatever good stuff is on it?

Should I wait to put it in even though it smells fine?

My main reason in getting the rock was to add some nice Coralline to the tank (I lost a lot when I did my tank switch) but I can't see any on it at all...granted, the lights are bad trying to look into the rubbermaid container and I was anxious to get the stuff submerged.

It just looks like, well....rock.

Thanks.

budhaboy
09/06/2002, 03:03 PM
do an ammonia test and see if you have a high reading- if its low and there isnt any smell then I would say SLOWLY and cautiously place the rock in a piece at a time(if this is going into an established tank) Coraline algae if it stays wet(or damp at least) is pretty hard to kill off- take a nylon scrub brush and lightly scrub the rock to see if its just gunk plastered all over the rock.

Hemmie
09/06/2002, 03:18 PM
I didn't even think of checking the ammonia, Budhaboy.

Hemmie
09/06/2002, 03:41 PM
I checked the ammonia and I do have a trace, so I'll hold off. It is going into an established tank.

Won't brushing the rock brush off any Coralline that's on it?