PDA

View Full Version : hang on overflow box or not

customcolor
05/15/2007, 11:54 PM
im in a pickle. i wanna drill my 125 for a coast to coast and closed loop but i dont know if i wanna now. i need this to be cost efective from the get go. i have seen over flow boxs that will not break syphion and it got me wondering if i should just do that and do a down tube for a closed loop. i will be painting the back of the tank black and if i did the box and the down tube they would also be black with krylon. yes it would save the tank but i just dont know.. help and some insite please

Fuegofish777
05/16/2007, 12:18 AM
well, I know many tanks are run with overflow boxes (HOB) , but i just had mine flood and I dont know that I can ever go without a driled tank again. i went with the box to save money, but i lost alot more now that it was taken down. I had a lifereef box too, known to be the best. the syphon didnt break, but something either slowed the flow or algae plugged the teeth or something, doesnt really matter what though, it flooded in the end. IME the hang on boxes work, but its taking a chance. but even drilled tanks can flood..... JMO

MightyWarMonger
05/16/2007, 06:32 AM
I was thinking of doing that too but after reading a few post about them I have decided to have my tank drilled for an over flow and I will be adding float switches (as seen hear http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html ) as an added attempt to prevent flooding I will put one in the sump and in the main tank. but thats just me I'm parinoid of faliers witch is why I will also have two complete systems in case one goes down the other one can still maintain the tank till I fix the other one that broke.