PDA

View Full Version : Just like Spartans fighting Xerxies

0 Agios
05/13/2007, 07:18 PM
The fight has begun. Just like my predecessors the Spartans fighting Xerxies I decided to change my skimmer hookup around and connect an air pump tp the skimmer. It runs like a super skimmer now. Removed all my filter pads and did a dursow for return, cleaned and polished my sump. And stop doing water changes for now till my 14" sand bucket with seaweeds and chaeto,and my other 6" sand bed with seaweeds and other plants kick in. Whats the highest I can let nitrate reach ? with brain corals and fish. Any suggestions?:mad2:

murfman
05/13/2007, 08:49 PM
With fish and LPS/softies you can let them get up there. When I had my tank in the 1st year, my nitrates regualarly read over 100ppm.

Sk8r
05/13/2007, 08:55 PM
I'd try to keep them under 10. I keep corals and keep mine at 0.

0 Agios
05/13/2007, 09:27 PM
Fat cat you always so perfect cheeeeeeeee under 10 . I will go with my friends advice the murfman over 100 on nitrates yeahhhhhhhhh

IslandCrow
05/13/2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you're purposely allowing your nitrates to rise. Is it for your macroalgaes? I don't think you have much chance of starving them for nutrients. My nitrates are never detectable with my Salifert test kit, and my macroalgaes grow quite nicely (the Caulerpa a bit too nicely!).

0 Agios
05/13/2007, 09:56 PM
I think if i let the nitrates reach their maximum they will probably crash them selfs and start reducing drastically either from my plant growth or the deep sand beds.