PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise...

jade2122
05/12/2007, 11:31 PM
I am going to be setting up 65 gallon reef and wanting to do mostly sps in it. So far equipment wise I will have a 29 gal sump, with a return pump that is rated at 1500 gph(0 head) so guessing I will get about 1200 gph out of it. Combining this with a couple of powerheads should that be enough flow to keep the sps happy? I also have a Rio 2500 at my disposal if I need that to help too. Any advise on the best way to get great flow in this tank would be great. Thanks!!

waterfaller1
05/13/2007, 05:37 AM
How about a closed loop instead of powerheads? Don't use that Rio{maybe just use it for water changes to play it safe...they are known for problems}.
And WELCOME!:cool:

pixiegirlie
05/13/2007, 06:16 AM
i love my rio - knock on wood - bought it used and it is still kicking on one of my 90s as a return pump ;-) just on a eel tank = not to say that your wrong - i have just had good luck with mine - i am not sure if 1500 pump is big enough to do a closed loop and have enough power for all the heads your going to be looking for- this is lifesworksataol talking by the way

waterfaller1
05/13/2007, 08:16 AM
You would need another pump dedicated to the CL.;)

plyle02
05/13/2007, 08:17 AM
jade2122,
I doubt that will be enough flow to support a SPS tank. I would make sure that your skimmer's pump is also rated closely to that of your flow through the sump, or your skimmer will not be able to keep up. I currently have a 75 gallon SPS tank, and my total tank turn over is around 77 times per hour/ 5800gph. BTW, my corals are thriving. In fact, I switched to BB to support such a high flow environment. IMHO, I would scale back on the return pump, and add 3-4 quality powerheads. Look into the hydor korillas, they add a very nice stream for little $. I am not saying your setup will not work, just giving you a bit of advice from someone who has had to learn the hard way about SPS husbandry. Good luck......

damac20
05/13/2007, 10:59 AM
I have a 65 sps tank and I use a mag 9 for my return and have a tunze stream for extra water movement. The return alone is not enough to keep the flow loving sps happy. If I had to do it again I'd go with a close loop. It will look much cleaner and you get more flow to more places. feel free to PM me if you want.

taketz
05/13/2007, 10:29 PM
I'd look into the nano-streams. VERY small and put out good flow to boot!