PDA

View Full Version : Criminals

crp
05/09/2007, 09:29 PM
Just see on the news tonight

Police have found the man they were looking for near Caughdenoy Road in Clay, an Onondaga County 911 dispatcher said. The man was believed to be armed, and several police agencies were looking for him in fields. Nearby residents were told to stay indoors after the search started about 2:20 p.m. The man was found without incident about 5:45 p.m.

I live off of Caughdenoy by about 2 blocks. Fields all around. Hadn't heard a thing about. So much for reverse 911. :rolleyes: AND this is when the kids are coming home from school and have to walk from the bus stop 3 blocks away :mad2:

Coral Dilema
05/09/2007, 11:55 PM
Several years ago, in Richmond VA, my brother was driving home after work and police were stopping everyone at his street and all around. He asked what was going on, he lived in the area. The cop told him to go home and go inside his house and lock his doors, wouldnt tell him anything else. he went home, went inside and locked the doors. A few hours later he heard on the news that the police were looking for a
Mr. X" for murdering his father. Well, MR. X was a 14 year old kid, that my brothers kids went to school with, who lived about 3 houses down from them, and was good friends with the family.

If Mr. X had shown up at my brothers door, he would have opened the door and let him in because he didnt know they were looking for him. He was a 14 year old kid and a long time friend of the family.

Im sure the police have their reasons for not divulging too much info, but sometimes, it goes too far.

mr9iron
05/10/2007, 08:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9913152#post9913152 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Coral Dilema
Several years ago, in Richmond VA, my brother was driving home after work and police were stopping everyone at his street and all around. He asked what was going on, he lived in the area. The cop told him to go home and go inside his house and lock his doors, wouldnt tell him anything else. he went home, went inside and locked the doors. A few hours later he heard on the news that the police were looking for a
Mr. X" for murdering his father. Well, MR. X was a 14 year old kid, that my brothers kids went to school with, who lived about 3 houses down from them, and was good friends with the family.

If Mr. X had shown up at my brothers door, he would have opened the door and let him in because he didnt know they were looking for him. He was a 14 year old kid and a long time friend of the family.

Im sure the police have their reasons for not divulging too much info, but sometimes, it goes too far.

That does suck for your brother but because of laws we are unable to divulge any juvenile information. Did they ever catch the kid?

batguano
05/10/2007, 08:15 AM
mr9iron is correct here. It is very difficult sometimes for law enforcement officials to balance public safety with individual rights. Sometime it makes the job ridiculous, almost impossible. We all (law enforcement, judiciary, civil libertarians) just try to walk the tight rope of effective regulation and enforcement of the greater good. It's not a perfect system, but it's still better than the old Soviet and current communist Chinese systems. :) (Sorry if I offended any of our Eurasian and Asian members)

crp
05/10/2007, 08:33 AM
Town of Clay (WSYR-TV) - People in the Town of Clay are back in their homes and the commotion has died down.
A four hour manhunt ended with the discovery of a body along train tracks.

The Clay Police department hasn't released any new information since about 7pm Wednesday.

They found the subject of their manhunt dead just before 6pm. Apparently he killed himself. They're not giving his name yet.

It started in Potsdam with a 911 call about a suicidal, disturbed man. His car was found hours later at his sister’s house just east of Clay. He was said to be armed.

Clay Police officers, Sheriff's Deputies, and State Police focused on the area south of Route 31, and to the west of Caughdenoy Road.

Air One and the State Police helicopter scoured the woods and fields from above.

Kevin Smith lives nearby, he says, “There were cops at every development. Air One over at one point and overhead all the time.”

Neighbors were blocked from their homes; those coming from work or school were stuck on the outside of the perimeter.

A reverse 911 call told many to stay inside and lock the doors.

Just after 5:30pm, a truck carrying bloodhounds arrived, 10 minutes later it left.

The Onondaga County 911 Center said the suicidal man had been located. It turns out, his body was found.

It was behind the house in an area bordering train tracks.

A freight train was stopped while Clay Police on ATV's worked the scene. They let the train go through, and then removed the body.

Some neighbors bordering the search area were questioning why they didn't get a reverse 911 call.

They had to rely on the media for information. We tried to find out from the 911 commissioner how they determine the boundaries for the system, but he's not available until Thursday.

The man police were looking for is described as a white man in his early 20's.

batguano
05/10/2007, 08:39 AM
Well, Carrie, you've just got a screwed up police department! :)

mr9iron
05/10/2007, 02:42 PM
What is this reverse 911 you talk of?

crp
05/10/2007, 02:49 PM
REverse 911 is an automatic messaging device used to call homes and warn of things like this. Your phone will ring and you'll hear a recorded message telling you what's going on.

mr9iron
05/10/2007, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9916662#post9916662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crp
REverse 911 is an automatic messaging device used to call homes and warn of things like this. Your phone will ring and you'll hear a recorded message telling you what's going on.

Oh, I see, that's not something we have in our area.

crp
05/10/2007, 07:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9918318#post9918318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr9iron
Oh, I see, that's not something we have in our area.

Apparently, neither do we :rolleyes:

dc
05/10/2007, 10:29 PM
I've never even heard of it.

mr9iron
05/10/2007, 11:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9919603#post9919603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
I've never even heard of it.

Me either!

RTKBA308
05/11/2007, 12:07 AM
Never heard of reverse 911, but it looks like that system screwed up, not the police department.

mr9iron
05/11/2007, 02:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9920142#post9920142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RTKBA308
Never heard of reverse 911, but it looks like that system screwed up, not the police department.

That would be my guess to. The police were to busy looking for a guy with a gun.