PDA

View Full Version : Good quiet generator and automation

vdubfiend
05/09/2007, 02:00 PM
Looking to getting a generator for a backup power source.. How does one go about making the setup as automated as possible in case of a power failure?

What generators are people using ? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

tank is a 120g

what about a back up battery powered pump? hooking that up to switch on in case of power outage?
TIA

stugray
05/09/2007, 07:06 PM
vdubfiend,

If you are made of money, you can get a HD install of a natural gas/propane generator install from HD. ( http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@2098008123.1178755479@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckaddkljmmkgmcgelceffdfgidgmm.0&MID=9876 )

Otherwise, I have a handstart 20 A generator in the garage with extension cord handy. ( havent had 2 use it yet ;-)

Stu

stugray
05/09/2007, 07:09 PM
Hmm...

HD links never seem to work right. Try Homedepot.com & search for 'Standby Generator'.

Stu

atvdave
05/09/2007, 08:16 PM
Honda generators are about the quiets around, but they are a bit pricey.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp

I was at a NASCAR race one time and talking to a guy who had the U3000is gen. I was about 10' away from it and never knew it was on.

8BALL_99
05/09/2007, 09:29 PM
I use a Honda EU2000i Love it! Its very quit But you have to be home to start it.. I use a DIY UPS for short outages while I'm not home.. Home back up generators are nice but like stated above they will set you back some $$$ About 2 grand for a basic system.. And really from what I've been told you dont want the Cheap ones cause they tend to need work after a few years.. When I checked on them I was looking at about 5 grand for a good system installed...Tis why I have a Honda EU2000i now lol

nick18tjetta
05/09/2007, 09:38 PM
When I build a house, a backup generator will be in the plans. For this hurricane season, I am thinking about getting a KIPOR Generator. Suppose to be as quiet as a Honda at half the price. If not, Wal-Mart sells an RV Generator that is almost as quiet as a honda for around $300. It can't power much more than my tank, but it will be worth it.