PDA

View Full Version : Red Bug Predator: Dragonface Pipefish(Corythoichthys haematopterus)

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 10:32 AM
I brought this up before and wanted to know if anyone has heard anymore info about it. It wouldn't seem viable since pipefish prefer about the same environment as seahorses(from what I've read). Anyone have any experience with them in tanks with high water flow?
Here's the reply to an email I got from the good doctors requesting more information about the predatory habits of this pipefish. It's basically what they have posted on their site about the species. That doesn't help me out much:

Dear Cliff,
Thank you for your e-mail. The Dragonface Pipefish is a natural predator of Red Bugs. Once acclimated and used to their new surroundings, this Pipefish will start hunting for these as a food source. If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at TechSupport@drsfostersmith.com and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have. Sincerely, Technical SupportDrs. Foster & Smith

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 12:13 PM
Lin, have you had any experience with pipefish? I found a quote from utah reefs .com forum:

"They don't have to be in a low flow area... I have one pair of dragonface pipefish in my main tank with about 4000gph of water movement for about two months now without any problems. They can handle water movement much better than seahorses. Mine eat frozen cyclop-eeze and pick pods off the liverocks all day long..."

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 12:35 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k182/reefjerk/Dragonpipe20fish20and20red20bugs.jpg

lion-clown
05/08/2007, 12:57 PM
Where did you find that dragonface pipefish it is amazing? I am sorry i don't know anything about pipefish but i have always been interested. Out of curiousity why do you want to put it in high flow tank anyways?

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 01:13 PM
It is a reported predator of the Acro-eating red bugs. SPS tanks have a high flow rate for corals to stay healthy and thrive. So, this pipefish would need to be able to handle those conditions. They are for sale at liveaquaria.com

clowninaround74
05/08/2007, 01:13 PM
definitly a cool fish! are you going to try it?

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 01:16 PM
Well, there are reports of it eating the bugs, but as you can see in the pic, that one is passing right by a cluster of the nasties. Either way, they are still a nice looking specimen.

clowninaround74
05/08/2007, 01:18 PM
yea i think it might be a hit or miss type of thing. Like 50% might eat them and then 50% might not its that way with any fish. but yea like you said its a sweet fish

Huhhhhh
05/08/2007, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9900438#post9900438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefJerk

Mine eat frozen cyclop-eeze and pick pods off the liverocks all day long..."

Cliff do they chase the food down in the current or do you cut your pumps at feeding time?

That's defiantly cool, I wouldn't mind getting one if they eat like that. How much did you pay for them?

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 01:24 PM
It's not mine. I am just doing some research on them. I'm thinking of getting a couple, though. The guy that has them said they hunt like a mandarin on the rockwork and sandbed.

racer69
05/08/2007, 01:38 PM
Very cool. I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I think it would compete with my mandarin for food.

ReefJerk
05/08/2007, 01:43 PM
Just feed more. My mandarin stays fat like she's pregnant all the time. I feed my tank 4 times a day and my fuge once a day. If I got 2 of these, I'd have to increase my feedings. lol

lfduty
05/08/2007, 03:47 PM
ReefJerk. you asked. Lin, have you had any experience with pipefish? I found a quote from utah reefs .com forum:
Yes I have had a bunch of pipes and i have had them in my reef's and in my fuges thay will do ok in a high water flow tank you will haft to increase your feedings your mandarin and pipe eat the same foods thay will do ok feed once a day in your fuge but you will need to put some live rocks for him. I want to get 4 of them for my new fuge and 4 more seahorses to. call if you need eney help.

lfduty
05/08/2007, 04:06 PM
Thay will compete with mandarin's for food but not as much as some of you think they will I'v seen 180g tanks with 2 mandarin's and 6-line's and they eat like pig's. In old my 90g reef i put 2mandarin's m/f 1 6-line 4pipe's and 2 pair's of seahorses and a blenny that i dont know what it was. the blenny pipe's and SH's was in a 75g sump/fuge with 55lbs of rock's and thay lived like that for 3 years untill we moved to the Springs and i never seen a big pod loss and what the mane tank did not eat and that went in the overflow the fuge goot to have.