PDA

View Full Version : Any Info on: AquaFugesm Hang-On Refugium

hendrix
09/02/2002, 04:37 PM
Afternoon All,

I'm switching my fish only 110 Gallon tank to a full reef and I was thinking of adding a AquaFugesm Hang-On Refugium by CPR (Model # RF24 - 24" x 4" x 12"). I'm wondering if anyone has used these before? The reason for going with this is because it hangs on the back of the tank (going under the tank is not an option). Is this big enough?

Gordo

sven
09/02/2002, 04:42 PM
I don't have one but have heard some happy customers. There seems to be a problem with the water transfer. A search on this forum should net some info. Any size refugium I think will be a benefit.

Sea Wraith
09/02/2002, 05:55 PM
I have that model on my 58 show and I love it! It definately helps with an increase of pod production for the tank! I'd say it was a worthwhile investment! It doesnt take up much space either which is a big plus because we have both a 75 show and a 58 show in our bedroom!

rgardiner
09/02/2002, 07:54 PM
I use the same model on my 90G and have been happy with it. However, you should search on the topic of their flooding if something (ie a large snail) blocks the outflow tube. I modified mine by adding in a an overflow outlet near the top edge (above the normal waterline) that hangs over the main tank.

Todd March
09/02/2002, 11:30 PM
I adore my small AquaFuge on my small tank. If you do a serch here on RC about the AquaFuge, you will see that it can have overflow problems if you do nothing about the empty last chamber, but there are many fixes for this... At first I put a eggcrate/screened filter cover over the entire last chamber's top (I even posted a pic on another thread), but have since removed it,and simply dropped some live rock rubble into the last chamber; this surrounds the return intake tube's opening; this way nothing (like loose macros or snails) can block the return and cause an overflow. Plus the live rock rubble provides that much more living space for pods and mysis shrimp...!

These units would help any tank, but if you plan on keeping a mandarin goby or such a pod feeder, then the 24" AquaFuge would be a bit small for your size tank probably... But if you are interested in growing macros for nutrient removal, placing a fast grower like spaghetti macro (chaetamorpha) in, will definetly help... I grow chaetamorpha in my 12" fuge with only an 18W PC 10K bulb, and the chaetamorpha doubles in size every week! I have to remove a baseball sized bunch weekly, which is loaded with nitrates and other crap that is now out of my sytem... FABULOUS! When I first installed it, the chaetamorpha reduced my nitrates from 3ppm to zero in less than 9 days...!