PDA

View Full Version : May 5th Reef Club Meeting - 2:00 P.M.

IslandCrow
05/01/2007, 10:30 PM
Alright, we'll start off with some directions to my house. I'm not too far off the beaten trail, but I'll give you what I consider the simplest directions, though it isn't necessarily the shortest route (and therefore probably not what Mapquest will tell you).

The address is: 116 Paddle Wheel Cv, Crestview

Coming from I-10
- Take the Crestview exit (Exit 56) off I-10 onto State Hwy 85
- Go south on Hwy 85 for a couple miles
- You'll go through 2 traffic lights if you're coming from the west, 3 if you're coming from the east.
- Just before you come to your 3rd/4th traffic light, there will be a turn lane to your right onto Antioch Rd. (it's a small residential road)
- If you go across a bridge, you've gone too far
- Turn right onto Antioch Rd.
- You'll go 1.2 miles on Antioch (according to Mapquest), across some really bad road (send me your chiropractor bill)
- After you go through your first stop sign, Paddle Wheel Cove will be your next left
- I'm at the very end of the "cove". If you're facing the house, there's an empty lot to the left.

Coming from Niceville, Ft. Walton, Destin, etc.
- I'm going to trust you to find State Hwy 85 North to Crestview
- After you cross the two bridges entering Crestview, turn left onto Antioch Rd. It will be the very first left after the traffic light.
- You'll go 1.2 miles on Antioch (according to Mapquest), across some really bad road (send me your chiropractor bill)
- After you go through your first stop sign, Paddle Wheel Cove will be your next left
- I'm at the very end of the "cove". If you're facing the house, there's an empty lot to the left.

Call me if you get lost: 850-758-7497

IslandCrow
05/01/2007, 10:42 PM
Alright, here's the agenda. I doubt we'll stay on schedule, but it will at least give you a guesstimate (wow, spell checker actually recognizes that as a word!) as to how long I'd expect things to last:

2:00-2:15 - Meeting "starts" with mingling time/intros (a.k.a. wait for the stragglers to show up)
2:15-2:30 - Burgers are ready, let's eat!
2:30-3:30 - We may still be eating, but I'll go ahead and roll into some tips on tank photography*
3:30-4:00 - Over to Johnny for a how to on DIY frag plugs**
4:00-4:15 - Frag trading
4:15-4:30 - Meeting's "over", but I'm probably not sick of you yet, so feel free to hang around if you haven't gotten sufficient mingle time.

* If you'd like, bring your own camera for the photography portion, and we can experiment with it.
** Johnny, if you need some garage space, let me know so I can move my car out of there before the meeting.

TheGriffin
05/02/2007, 08:05 AM
Just to let you know, I will not be comming to this one. It's my 6yr old sons birthday party so I will be preocuppied trying to convince a bunch of kids that "no, fish do not enjoy cake and ice cream in the tank". Ya'll have fun without me this time:)

hooker18
05/02/2007, 10:51 AM
mike: i think all i will need is your water hose. other than that i will bring everything needed.

Phildirt
05/02/2007, 09:10 PM
If I get back in time from a birthday party my kids are going to I will try to stop by. If not I will try to catch the next one.

IslandCrow
05/02/2007, 10:47 PM
OK, hope you can make it, Phil. Sorry you won't be able to make it, Griff. Sounds like it's everyone's birthday this week. My nephew turns 10 tomorrow.

Johnny, if you just need water, we'll probably just go out back. I have a water outlet right by the deck. If I can leave my car in the garage, that'll give other people more room to park.

Mr James
05/02/2007, 10:47 PM
Just to let you know, I won't be able to make it either. I used to be the closest member of the club to Mike's house, now I'm the furthest. Have fun guys!! We will be moving into our new house this Saturday and I just don't think I can make the drive.

pssst. I have already found a spot for my new tank!! AND, I have a basement!! I've always wanted a basement sump with a tank upstairs.

hooker18
05/03/2007, 08:18 PM
hmmm... a basement would be nice.

lobstergrabber
05/04/2007, 07:50 AM
Hey all. Am sorry I will not be able to attend. Have to work till five so no chance in making it. Hopefully next one. Still look forward to meeting everyone.

Rich

DrHank
05/04/2007, 07:27 PM
James, how big a spot have you found? If you're thinking basement sump, I hope it's a big spot. Also, don't forget about the load on the floor. You're not on a slab anymore.

Mr James
05/04/2007, 09:59 PM
Actually, the house is a tri-level and the basement is divided into living area and utility area. The whole system may go down there. Otherwise, the main living area is on a slab amnd I would plumb through the wall and down. Besides, the next tank will be around 60g or so. The last one wqore me out.

IslandCrow
05/04/2007, 11:37 PM
Oh, by the way, someone be sure to remind me I have a bunch of plastic livestock bags (or whatever you call them) to give away, courtesy of James, who got them courtesy of Brett.

Only 60g, James. You disappoint me. I mean, Doc's doing a 240. Step up, man!

DrHank
05/05/2007, 05:42 AM
Mike there's nothing wrong with a 60g (cube I assume). I know that you're just trying to bust James chops. :D I think a tank that size can be a real showpiece. Lance's is a perfect example. Don't let him get to you James. I was totally devastated to learn that my tank was only 21.5 inches tall making it a 210 and not a 240. I think I'll still keep it though. :)

hooker18
05/06/2007, 11:54 AM
thanks for the great meeting mike.

TTSupra
05/06/2007, 02:25 PM
Agreed. I enjoyed it.

blacktone
05/06/2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for having us over, I appreciate the frag very much!

SueQ
05/07/2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah Mike! Thanks for an awesome meeting! I'm going to try my newfound photography knowledge out on my betta;)

IslandCrow
05/08/2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, Suzi, you'll definitely have to send us some pics of your betta. It was certainly good to see everyone. We had one new face, and a few people who hadn't met before, so that's always a good thing. One thing that Doc brought up awhile ago that we probably should have talked about at the meeting is getting word of our existence out there. Not even entirely for the club, but just to spread knowledge of the hobby. Let's all give this some thought for the next meeting. Speaking of which, do we want to shoot for another meeting next month? I have my sister's graduation going on that month, but otherwise, I'm pretty free.