PDA

View Full Version : Tubastraea observation and questions

Evets
05/31/2000, 11:22 PM
I recently joined the Tubastraea club after surveying the available literature and following related BB threads, and so far so good.

Observation: The following food produces a very positive feeding response almost instantly from my Tubastraea. The Sun Coral opened up almost instantly the first time I used this food and as done so ever since. I have since found two other people who have the same positve experience. I purchased the food (Gamma brand Plankton from the Tropical Marine Center in England) at my LFS. I do not know who imports this, but if you have a Sun Coral and you see this food in your LFS's freezer, give it a try. Of course, I also feed larger pieces of meat (Brine Shrimp and so on), but for whetting the corals appetite this product appears to be very effective.

Questions: How long have you had your Tubastraea? What species (or color) do you have? What foods work best for you? How often do you target feed each polyp?

Thanks.
-Steve

Brooke
06/01/2000, 01:38 PM
Hi Steve-
I've had my orange sun coral for over a year now..probably bout 1.5 years. When we first got the coral we fed it about every 3 days. Now that it is in our 100g reef with spawning shrimp we feed it about twice a week. The polyps cover the rock, new polyps are abundant, and there has been no tissue loss at all. We feed it a lots of different things such as brine shrimp, prime reef, phytoplankton, zooplankton, etc. It has really enjoyed those spawning shrimp though!

Good luck with it...I find as long as you take care to feed it, it is a very hardy beautiful coral.

Brooke

Evets
06/01/2000, 04:10 PM
Thanks Brooke. Fortunately, I have two pair of spawning shrimp in the tank! I also have Prime Reef on hand, as well as brine shrimp, the aforementioned plankton, and phytoplankton. Hopefully, in 1.5 years my expereince will be as positive as yours.
-Steve