PDA

View Full Version : Wife is killing me!!!

JR719
04/29/2007, 01:11 AM
Where do I start?!?! last weekend, wife had me weeding, putting that plastic weedstop stuff in the flowerbeds. I had to plant, rock, mulch etc. Geez....

Today, I had to get more mulch and did not have time to put that down. She had me putting up a dang gazebo. In the morning, I have to go and get more stuff to make a rock garden. This will be around 16 X 20 and I have to sink our 2 fish ponds. I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS!!!!

Anyone want to come and help? I'll provide the beer and steaks! Anyone? HELP!!!! Please!!!

Tarkus70
04/29/2007, 01:13 AM
Well umm I Can't Sorry

JR719
04/29/2007, 01:14 AM
Are you sure? I have some really, really, REALLY nice rib eyes marinating right now. Oh did I mention, Corona and Bud is chilling very nice in the fridge?

Tarkus70
04/29/2007, 01:17 AM
Mmmm I wish I could

Sk8r
04/29/2007, 01:17 AM
Think of it this way: the more you cover with fishponds, rock, mulch, and gazebos, the less mowing you will have to do so long as you own the place---if you live long enough to enjoy it.

JR719
04/29/2007, 01:21 AM
Sk8r, at this rate, I'll be lucky to enjoy what it looks like when it's finished. I'm debating on buying another pond or 2. I'm thinking putting a park bench in the middle of 4 nice ponds. I already have a 100 and a 70 or 80 some gallon. I told the wife I want to wrap the area in japanese laceleaf maples.

Any suggestions? I'm going to pvc plumb all together so I don't need filters for each pond. Oh crap! talking fish stuff in the lounge, disregard!

Sk8r
04/29/2007, 01:35 AM
We're thinking of doing the same to our back yard, with little round ponds connecting to each other, the whole arrangement getting larger as we add to it---figure we can use some booster pumps to move stuff along until we can run it all in a circle.

Japanese maples, some of those Bradford pears that do so nicely in Oklahoma---maybe a weeping cherry or star magnolia. I'd be tempted by wisteria, but I've had it run amok twice, and I don't think I want to fight that battle again---as well plant kudzu! Irises---esp the Japanese iris likes pond borders. I can tell you about koi and any water plant they get their little fishy mouths on: gone in 60 seconds, anything from reeds to water hyacinth. If you want water lilies, do it where koi aren't. ;) Papyrus would be a nice tall addition, but I don't know how it will fare in temperate zones. Up here in Spokane we're a zone 5b, sort of like Kansas, so we're not that different. Don't know if you've seen star magnolias down there, but they're worth the effort.
See, we talked mostly about plants!

JR719
04/29/2007, 02:03 AM
Thanks sk8r. I've had these 2 ponds set up a long time ago at our old house. I just never set them back up. I have one that is in an "L" shape, one that is just a blah something or another. I've debated on using something like 1/2" pvc to plumb together and run thru a UV, or just break down and do 4".

Water lilly's have to be in there. Last time they were up, I think, and I'm not sure, but Papyrus sounds kinda familiar. And as I recall, did not do well. Can't say that I've seen star magnolias. I did have several koi in them before.

I'm looking at the laceleaf maples, primarily crimson queen (For some reason I really like that one). Wife likes weeping willows. I suppose we could do a combination. I will add cover in time, with a lattice or strip cover. I know the laceleafs don't like direct full sun. I plan on keeping them bent down so they spread a bit.

So now the problem, water plants around here like full sun, and there won't be when I'm done. The maples are more important to me. So I guess I'll take my chances and hope for the best.

Plumbing should not be too much of a prob. The walls of my ponds are fairly thick. When they were set up, I did not use bulkheads, just regular screw in fittings will a little silly-cone. The more I think about it, I'm guessing 4 will be better. The park bench will be in the middle giving a better view. I could do 3 without one behind I suppose.

To top it off.... It will directly behind the wall of our bedroom. I'm looking at knocking out the area where the windows are and adding french doors for access. Wife and I are still not sure about the doors though. Too many guns and such on the inside of that wall.

JR719
04/29/2007, 02:10 AM
Again, anyone willing to help...... Steak and Corona (or Bud). this is a BYOS party (Bring Your Own Shovel).

Nina51
04/29/2007, 05:45 AM
i would if i could but i have no shovel. i have a manure fork. will that work??

sounds like quite a project. i've always wanted a pond in the back yard, maybe some day i'll have the time. :)

BigSkyBart
04/29/2007, 05:51 AM
expedia.com

book me a ticket, tell me what flight to catch

Nina51
04/29/2007, 07:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836514#post9836514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
expedia.com

book me a ticket, tell me what flight to catch

how you gonna get that shovel past airport security?

BigSkyBart
04/29/2007, 07:02 AM
tricks of the trade....

you wouldn't believe some the tools I travel with

Nina51
04/29/2007, 07:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836627#post9836627 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
tricks of the trade....

you wouldn't believe some the tools I travel with

don'tchya just love gettin' wanded? ;)

BigSkyBart
04/29/2007, 07:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836638#post9836638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nina51
don'tchya just love gettin' wanded? ;)

depends on where they put the wand :eek1:

Aliie
04/29/2007, 07:55 AM
Are you done yet JR? I have a fish pond I need set also and since you will have it done to s science you can come do mine.:D

Nina51
04/29/2007, 08:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836656#post9836656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart
depends on where they put the wand :eek1:

exactly the reason i prefer not to travel by air.

mr9iron
04/29/2007, 08:44 AM
Ribeyes and Corona are two of my favorites!!:D I will be right over to help.:D

p.s. The minute you marry them they start killing you.:lol:

dc
04/29/2007, 08:58 AM
So does she loan you out? :D I'm the one that does all the yard work. Dan fertilizes in the spring and that's the extent of his help. I need some nice weather for yard work.

clavery
04/29/2007, 09:03 AM
Boys, boys, boys. Quit yer *****in' and get to work already, would you???? You've wasted enough time already. Nina's almost done with her chore list and she's at least TWICE your age!!!!!

(Hubby has a hefty to-do list today, too - he might join you for those steaks and beers later;))

mr9iron
04/29/2007, 09:07 AM
I helped plant flowers and mow and do the rest of my honey do's yesterday and the wife surprised me by taking me to the Olive Garden for dinner. After that we went and saw the Missouri Minutemen play some arena football. It was great, not to mention one of the guys I work with plays for them. My boys were really excited and Nate made sure and aquired them a game ball.

Scuba_Dave
04/29/2007, 09:07 AM
Wuss!! :D

I have to finish the pool caban addition. Currently digging down 4' to replace the pump & filter system
Then install the solar heating system

I have to finish my 7x10 green house

I have to finish my 6x10 front porch

I have to finish my 2nd floor dormer

I have to finish shingling the side of the house

I need to dig up & move my flagpole. Since the front porch was enclosed its not too close to put up my 5x9 flag

I need to run a cable to suspend my 12x18 flag

I need to finish my plans & submit to build my 16x16 sunroom & 8' wrap-around deck off the back of the house

I need to build the 24x36 garage & great room

THEN I need to landscape, put in my 2 ponds, redo the pool deck, move some fences to enclose the area behind the pool, add a fence between the new garage & stream (and clean out stream), plant about another 5000 bulbs plus a LOT of other things!!!

mr9iron
04/29/2007, 09:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837091#post9837091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scuba_Dave

I have to finish the pool caban addition. Currently digging down 4' to replace the pump & filter system

I need to dig up & move my flagpole. Since the front porch was enclosed its not too close to put up my 5x9 flag

I need to finish my plans & submit to build my 16x16 sunroom & 8' wrap-around deck off the back of the house

THEN I need to landscape, put in my 2 ponds, redo the pool deck, move some fences to enclose the area behind the pool, add a fence between the new garage & stream (and clean out stream), plant about another 5000 bulbs plus a LOT of other things!!!

You better get more steaks and beer it's going to be a long weekend.:eek2: J/K, it sounds like you got your summer planned.

clavery
04/29/2007, 09:12 AM
^ and that's just today, right????? ;)

crp
04/29/2007, 09:12 AM
Quit your whining and do as you're told!

My hubby gets a list, but then I'm impatient, so I keep asking if he's done yet.

No wonder he drinks! :rolleyes:

BigSkyBart
04/29/2007, 09:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837091#post9837091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scuba_Dave

Dave, sounds like you should add a trip to Wisconsin to your list, whith all that whine, you'll need plenty of cheese

page 2!! without trying :)

Nina51
04/29/2007, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837072#post9837072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clavery
[B]Boys, boys, boys. Quit yer *****in' and get to work already, would you???? You've wasted enough time already. Nina's almost done with her chore list and she's at least TWICE your age!!!!!

ahem...

Scuba_Dave
04/29/2007, 09:27 AM
Twice???

Twice M maybe

clavery
04/29/2007, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837121#post9837121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigSkyBart

page 2!! without trying :)

I think Carrie deserves a "thank you" for the assist!!!!!

Misled
04/29/2007, 10:23 AM
Anybody wanna come help me mulch?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/PICT0005-10.jpg

crp
04/29/2007, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9837193#post9837193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clavery
I think Carrie deserves a "thank you" for the assist!!!!!

Yeah, what she said! :lol:

BigSkyBart
04/29/2007, 11:15 AM
at the request of the CHC....

Carrie,
Thank you for the assist

crp
04/29/2007, 11:17 AM
Your very welcome Bart! :lol:

Scuba_Dave
04/29/2007, 02:03 PM
One thing off the list
The flagpole has been moved!!
Just need to wait for cement to dry
I went to buy a new flag, $50 for 4' x 6' at the flag stores
$25 at Walmart - most stores don't even have very many

$21 for THREE flags off EBay - same size 4'x6'

hubris007
04/29/2007, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836174#post9836174 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JR719
Where do I start?!?! last weekend, wife had me weeding, putting that plastic weedstop stuff in the flowerbeds. I had to plant, rock, mulch etc. Geez....

Today, I had to get more mulch and did not have time to put that down. She had me putting up a dang gazebo. In the morning, I have to go and get more stuff to make a rock garden. This will be around 16 X 20 and I have to sink our 2 fish ponds.

Dude, i do that stuff for fun when i'm not working. You just need an attitude adjustment.

Here's a fun weekend project from last year...

before
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/misc/beforeleft.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/misc/beforecenter.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/misc/beforeright.jpg

after
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/misc/75a1030a.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/misc/95529698.jpg http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/misc/1d4343f0.jpg

Scuba_Dave
04/29/2007, 03:37 PM
How do you sink a fish pond? :lol:

Before it's installed it's just a plastic bin
Once they are installed they are a fish pond ;)

JR719
04/29/2007, 09:14 PM
Scuba_Dave, sounds like you have a couple projects going. For me, I'm beat and have not finished yet. Trying to clear the ground and level was a pain. I'm hurting, bug bites everywhere, got into a little poison ivy. I really should look first before just pulling.

On a better note.... Replaced the burners in the grill and broke them in doing rib eye's. Turned out very good.... I had to chase a couple of them around the grill to get them, YUM. Family ate outside, steaks, green beans, sauteed mushrooms, YUM YUM YUM.

More to do on Monday, but have to take the wife to the big city for an eye appoitment. Maybe get a few more japanese maples.