PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Help Please

Goby1kanobe
04/28/2007, 10:24 PM
Hi my name is Matt and I would appreciate opinions on a chiller brand and size, and any experince of those with tanks in the 150 to 400 gallon sizes.
My tank is a 260 gallon reef tank with a 180 lbs of live rock, reef fish, soft and some hard corals. I have had the tank for a few years, and have been slowly upgrading to sps, clams, etc.
It is lit with three 400W 20K halides, and with the latest increase in local temps here in Oakland, my temp just peaked at about 83 degrees yesterday, and I am seeing some minor (and some not so minor) damage to corals now. My reluctance in acquiring a chiller so far has been that the space my tank is in happens to also be the waiting area of my Real Estate company. I am worried of two things; first noise, and second, where does the heat it produces go? If it is right back in to the room that the tank is in, it will affect the temp inside the office and make it uncomfartable for employees ad clients, while also re-heating the ambient temp of the room the tank sits in.
Also, does thecontrollers I hear you all talk about control it?

All of your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Best,
matt

sirjohn
04/28/2007, 10:31 PM
I had an Aqualogic on my 90 gallon (the drop-in coil kind). While it did its job quite well, it was too loud keep in the same room, IMO. Also, as you mentioned, it will also throw the heat exhaust back into the room and warm it up some (which also means you can't keep it in the stand). The noise is worse than the added heat.

Is there an empty closet nearby--preferably on an exterior wall--where you can keep the chiller and perhaps run the exhaust outside?

BTW, the aqualogic comes with an excellent controller. It's included in the price (or was a few years ago at least).

Goby1kanobe
04/28/2007, 10:45 PM
sirjohn-

What did it run you approx? AHow did the controller work? What does it sound like? ie is it a pump hum, or is it a weedeater sound?
Thanks for your prompt response!

sirjohn
04/28/2007, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9835525#post9835525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goby1kanobe
sirjohn-

What did it run you approx? AHow did the controller work? What does it sound like? ie is it a pump hum, or is it a weedeater sound?
Thanks for your prompt response!

As I recall, it was around $800. Got it from Premium Aquatics.

The controller is easy. It has a temperature sensor you place in the water (preferably your sump). Then you set your desired temperature on the digital pad and how many degrees off of that temperature you want to deviate before the unit kicks in (I think it was from +1 to +5 or so). Once it reaches that deviation number, the chiller kicks on. The higher the deviation number, the less times it kicks on and off, but the longer it will stay on (since it has to lower the temperature more degrees).

It's definitely louder than a pump, but I wouldn't say its weed-eater loud. I'd say it sounds like a loud refrigerator. Thing is, the sound doesn't really come from the motor so much as from the expelling of hot air out of the back of the unit.

For what it's worth, I've heard that the drop-in coil kind is louder than the in-line, so perhaps an in-line won't be so bad.

Goby1kanobe
04/28/2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks very much...I'll keep you informed.
Good luck with the hobby