PDA

View Full Version : typhoon skimmer

corbett_n
04/27/2007, 09:56 AM
i just got a typhoon skimmer, and I was wondering how long it usually takes before I get some good foam? What do you guys that have these do with the air line (do you open it all the way or what). the directions sucked. Also, do you find that the water level should be where the directions told you to put it. I appreciate any help.

The Saltwater Kid
04/27/2007, 11:55 AM
PM kodyboy, he's the best source of Typhoon info on this board...if anyone knows the in's and out's of this skimmer it's him.

kodyboy
04/27/2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.danddmarine.com/Skimmertoppage.html
keep the water level around here
It takes a few days to get good foam.
I would drill a little hole in the skimmate return line elbow (black thing in video above) and then shove a piece of airline tubing into it and lead that back to your aquarium to prevent siphons from forming.

The Saltwater Kid
04/27/2007, 01:54 PM
D&D also has an anti-siphon kit for the Typhoon that if you contact them they will send you for free.

corbett_n
04/27/2007, 02:31 PM
thanks for your help, do these skimmers work well?

corbett_n
04/27/2007, 03:35 PM
I wrote them and they are going to send me the new piece that is suppose to prevent siphoning. Thanks for the advice

Robert German
04/27/2007, 03:56 PM
Set mine up Tuesday afternoon and today I come home and some skimmate is forming on the 1/2 In.,of working foam in the concentrator,and the micro bubbles returning to the tank are thining out a little more each day. Never had a skimmer start skimming this fast in all the years I've had them,and the motor is quiet,something my wife likes.:p

corbett_n
04/29/2007, 01:33 PM
Mine is almost producing enough foam to send it down the tube. So far it is working great producing dry foam within a day, and it is very quiet. I am very impressed with it so far.

kodyboy
04/29/2007, 03:57 PM
sounds like all is going well.
PICS PLEASE!

corbett_n
04/29/2007, 04:44 PM
I will get you some pics tomorrow, but i had one more question about the skimmer. Do you keep your air valve all the way open or adjust it

kodyboy
04/29/2007, 05:58 PM
I usually keep my air valve all the way open, in fact I have connected it to an air pump to increase air flow......seems to help a little.